Question about Bachmann 4-8-4 J steamer???

BRPHO

Feb 23, 2007
Hi Guys!

Question for you??????

I noticed recently Bachmann rereleased the N&W 4-8-4 J steamer again.

I know,I know it is a bachmann and yes I have one of their older 4-8-4 northerns that will hardly pull itself around the layout let alone freightcars behind it also.

The question I have is regarding the J steamer just released is it worth the money or should I spend my money more wisely somewhere else?

Do any of you have one?

Any likes/dislikes regarding it?????

These came out but I haven't seen any reviews regarding them.....

I don't want to end up with another shelf queen like my bachmann northern is.....

Any help and insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Wayne :) :) :)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Wayne,All I can offer up is the one I see being ran at the N scale club.It appears to be a smooth runner and it pulls a 7 car passenger train..Mind you that is on the level.Our modular layout is based on ONE TRACK modular design and is single track with passing sidings point to point layout with no grades.

BRPHO

Feb 23, 2007
Thanks Larry and Squidbait!

I appreciate the help!

I know bachmann just rereleased the J steamer after reworking the drive mechanism.

The original j steamer had the same issues as my northern has and I didn't want to end up with the same issues if I purchased the new release of the j steamer.

Thanks again!

Wayne

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Might be another reason for buying from an LHS. Make sure the LHS has a test track, and test before you buy. Even the Spectrum line has been known for occasional individual pieces that didn't work right. If you are the lucky one that buys the occasional mis-assembled model, testing at the LHS saves the hassle of having to return it to Bachmann for warranty work.

just a thought

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
As to Bachmann:............Taken once : Shame on you Bachmann !
Taken twice : Shame on me.
Taken three times : Should this ever happen.
Now over the years I have been taken by Backmann a large number of times. But their stuff was inexpensive and could alwaye be used in some other way. Like those first few releases of the K4. They would fall apart the first or second time arround the layout. You really got to learn how to fix them. The ones that you couldn't fix became good detail parts. I've used the cabs, pilots, trailing trucks,tenders and other things on other locomotives. Now as to their new stuff. The Russian decapod. I have two. They both stopped after 10 or 15 minutes of use. I sent them back to the dealer I purchased them from. They sent me two more. OK these lasted a few more minutes. Now was I disapointed. YES-YES-YES-and YES!!!! What did I do. Well like with all their other locos I fixed them. I checked the loco and found that a electrical short in the locomotive half was causing the problum. It was the same on both locomtives. On line I found other people had the same problum. They traced it to the brass wipers that pick up power from the drivers shorting out to the metal weight above them. I looked at it and yes they were right. So I put a piece of scotch tape on the weight between them. Now these locomotives have been running right up to now. My Son has two heavy mountains they have never had any problums. I'd say Backman has cleaned up it's act and now has quality products. As to what you want to pay for them. That is up to you.
.............. Frank...............toptrain