Question 12-6 - Favorite Book

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I didn't see a question for today and since I don't think you guys could survive without one I'll pose it.

What's your favorite railroad book and why?

~BS

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think mine has to be Red for Danger by LTC Rolt. This is a survey of British railway accidents through the years, showing how they happened and what lessons were learned or ignored afterwards. Rolt is a wonderful writer, building up minor error upon minor error until the catastrophe is inevitable. but not without humour where he sees it. I think I pull it out every year to look someting up, and then read it all over again.
Growing up, the influential books were the only ones available. The library had The Modern Wonder Book of Trains and Railroading. There were a couple of us competing to see who could take it out the most times. I had the Eagle Book of Trains -- published by the best boys comic book in Britain. Wonderful sectioned drawings of all sorts of trains. And the book that influenced me most? Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer with its immortal line "A train for a boy or a doll for a girl".

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Logging Railroads of the West, Railroads in the Woods. This Was Logging (out of print).
Great prototype info for logging modelers. I use them to justify my sloppy track work. "All I did was make it like the book shows it".

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hmm. Tough one, 'cause there are so many that I like, but I'd have to say The Mohawk That Refused to Abdicate, by David Morgan and Phil Hastings. I've always enjoyed Morgan's style of writing, and Hastings' well-composed photos are the perfect complement to the prose.
All of Ian Wilson's offerings and those of Don Ball rank right up there, too.

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have quite a few books I like, but I think my favorite is Iron Horses Of The Santa Fe Trail. It has pics & specs of virtually all of the Santa Fe locomotives from the beginning until @ 1960 or so.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
"A Color History of Model Trains Around the World"...Puts me in a mental stupor every time I pick it up with all the amazing looking model trains there are around the world.:thumb:

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
Shortline Railroads of Arkansas. I picked this book up off ebay, I thought it was new until I read a few hundred pages and happend to look at the copyright date of 1969. I think its the coolest thing finding out about all the smaller railroads from way back when and the ones that are still around. Has awesome pictures in the back like a Model T track car and a streamliner that looks like a milk truck. I will try to get a few shots out of the book on here.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I have "This was logging"...very intersting book.

Also Sam Posey wrote "Playing with Trains"

I like that book, BUT...

"Santa Fe Rails Through California"
"Espee's Coast Line Pictorial"
"The Coast Line" By Signor
"Age of Steam"
"Highball!"

and the classic, with good illustration, "The BIG book of Real Trains!" :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I like the little local history books that are often railway focussed, but some also mention the railway when detailing the history of a given town. My current favourites are all about southern Ontario, and unfortunately have been out of print for a long time:

Cataract & Forks of the Credit (Credit Valley Railway/CPR)
Steam Trains through Orangeville (CPR)
In Search of the K&P (Kingston & Pembroke Railway - later CPR)
Over the Hills to Georgian Bay (Ottawa, Arnprior & Parry Sound - later CNR)

and of course Ian Wilson's "Steam..." series about CNR in southern Ontario in the late 1950s.

Andrew

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
santafewillie said:
I'm with 2-8-2, Track Planning for Realistic Operation by John Armstrong is my favorite. I have actually worn out my first copy and had to purchase a second one.

I can't say it's my favorite but I'll agree is a very valuable addition to one's library. I have two copies in mine right now. I bought my first many years ago and wore that out over time. I "upgraded" to the third edition when I replaced that that one just a few years ago. Just last month I was given another copy -- my third -- by a friend who was thinning down his library. I toyed with the idea of giving it away, but considering the fate of my first copy it's probably best I hang on to this one; some day I'll probably need it.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've thoroughly enjoyed the photo book of John Allen's G&D layout and have made good use of the above mentioned John Armstrong book as well. I have an odd addition...a novel by John Ridley called "The Drift". I'll warn folks that its not for everybody as its disturbing and rather dark. Its about a man who descends into a gritty and dangerous railriding life because of mental illness and drug use

Despite his delusions he learns rail smarts and survives encoutners with the likes of real lfe gangsters, the Freight Train Riders of America (FTRA). He ends up going on a mission along the BN "high line" to help a friend. The descriptions of modern day trains, yards, freight train action, security police, and the dangers related to hopping freights seem very realistic. Its a gripping story...but on the weird side at times.

Ralph