Quesitons on Kato Loco's

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
From my limited experience with Katos (I got two of their F40PHs on my roster), I can say they got very good detail, and they do run nice, but some with the copper-strip-contacts electrical system like the F40PH and SD40 might experience some running issues (which are relatively easy to fix by soldering in some wires to bypass the contact-strip system).

Generally I'd say they are worth it. :thumb:

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Thanks i found a couple good deals i think i may have to pull the trigger :).

LongIslandTom said:
From my limited experience with Katos (I got two of their F40PHs on my roster), I can say they got very good detail, and they do run nice, but some with the copper-strip-contacts electrical system like the F40PH and SD40 might experience some running issues (which are relatively easy to fix by soldering in some wires to bypass the contact-strip system).

Generally I'd say they are worth it. :thumb:

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
ltCurve.gif

KATO HO SCALE EMD F40PH LOCOMOTIVE AMTRAK

^^^^ from ebay. Looks like someone beat me to the kato one for 29.99 buy it now.

Actually i'm looking for an f40 or something similar in amtrak paint. But i'll take an undecorated and then paint later in life :).
LongIslandTom said:
Sweet! :thumb:

Which Kato locos did you find and how much? I remember you were looking for Amtrak locos, right?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
A Kato F40PH for $30? Hmm... I'm a bit skeptical, because those Kato F40PHs retails for close to $100.

You gotta be careful of those on Evil Bay... Remember there are four different brands of plastic-model F40PHs out there-- LifeLike (garbage pancake motor drive), Walthers (OK mechanism but not all the details are right), Spectrum (OK mechanism but very poor detailing), and the Kato (very good detail, but with a potentially problematic mechanism). It would suck if you bid on a "Kato F40PH" and it turned out to be one of the other brands.

I paid $85 apiece for mine from Toy Train Heaven... That was pretty much the lowest price I can find for the Kato F40PHs. Where did you find them for $50? I'm thinking of grabbing one more to paint up in NJT colors. :cool:

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I'm getting really good at spotting what you just mentioned ;). There are a couple fo engines listed when you do the f40 search adn theya re bachmann, listed as something else haha. I'm glad you did that review i refer to it when i go feebaying for that line up dunno why i had a brain fart on the kato brand hahaha.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&sibeleafcat=19134&itemstate=1&catref=C6&itemid=330080165628&from=R10&satitle=undecorated+kato+ho&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=08085&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

This is a listing of all the undecorated engines. And as you say looks like they are around that magic 80$ number ;). So i think i'm going to buy one from toy train heaven.

LongIslandTom said:
A Kato F40PH for $30? Hmm... I'm a bit skeptical, because those Kato F40PHs retails for close to $100.

You gotta be careful of those on Evil Bay... Remember there are four different brands of plastic-model F40PHs out there-- LifeLike (garbage pancake motor drive), Walthers (OK mechanism but not all the details are right), Spectrum (OK mechanism but very poor detailing), and the Kato (very good detail, but with a potentially problematic mechanism). It would suck if you bid on a "Kato F40PH" and it turned out to be one of the other brands.

I paid $85 apiece for mine from Toy Train Heaven... That was pretty much the lowest price I can find for the Kato F40PHs. Where did you find them for $50? I'm thinking of grabbing one more to paint up in NJT colors. :cool:

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Holy crap.. $65 for the Kato F40PH (Amtrak #400) at Toy Train Heaven.. I bought that exact same loco from TTH too back in November (the one in my review) for $85.

I think TTH might have too many of that particular road number or Kato is doing a clearance or something. I'd jump on it. :thumb:

Heck, I think I'll jump on it too so I can repaint one in NJT. :D

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I'm with you ... i ahve a couple other things i'm getting from them. I'm eternally in your debts for this site!!!

LongIslandTom said:
Holy crap.. $65 for the Kato F40PH (Amtrak #400) at Toy Train Heaven.. I bought that exact same loco from TTH too back in November (the one in my review) for $85.

I think TTH might have too many of that particular road number or Kato is doing a clearance or something. I'd jump on it. :thumb:

Heck, I think I'll jump on it too so I can repaint one in NJT. :D

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
YmeBP said:
I'm with you ... i ahve a couple other things i'm getting from them. I'm eternally in your debts for this site!!!

I am too. If not for this site, I'd actually have to do something productive resem,bling work here at work. hamr

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
COMBAT said:

I was sitting here debating it, but how soon would you need the money?

By the way, as far as I am concerned, that is a heck of an offer for you to make to us. I really appreciate you going on a limb for us like that. Good lookin' out for your brothers and sisters :thumb:

Let me know will ya?

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
If I ordered them today I would get them a week from today. I would then turn around and ship to all of those that have paid for them. I guess the answer is, how soon can you pay for it. LOL :)

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
COMBAT said:
If I ordered them today I would get them a week from today. I would then turn around and ship to all of those that have paid for them. I guess the answer is, how soon can you pay for it. LOL :)

Crap, it'd be some time next month. Waiting for some old back pay to FINALLY arrive which could be any timne in the next 4 weeks.

I guess I'll have to see if you have any left over or something, I'm sorry.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
COMBAT said:
Hmm these engines look great... do you have any not spoken for adn how soon do you need the money? Do you accept paypal?

You know.... i think i have as much fun collecting these things as i do running and building :).

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I will tell you this. If I get others to participate and buy them then I will hold out for four weeks for you. I cant do this for everyone but I would do it for 1 or two just because I understand how things work. I would put you on the reserve list so to speak. Send me a pm please so I have your info and if I get enough interest I will work with you. Just let me know if your interested. Thanks! :)

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
COMBAT said:
I will tell you this. If I get others to participate and buy them then I will hold out for four weeks for you. I cant do this for everyone but I would do it for 1 or two just because I understand how things work. I would put you on the reserve list so to speak. Send me a pm please so I have your info and if I get enough interest I will work with you. Just let me know if your interested. Thanks! :)

OUTSTANDING. What are the road names available (mine are going to be my freelanced "Pacific Northern")? I'll take at least two.