PZL P-8/I (CardPlane 1/2005)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Swinger, Aug 24, 2005.

1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

discs = parts 43a , 43b , 20a
  2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

discs = parts 43a , 43b , 20a
  3. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay,
    Again I stand back in the shadow wishing that some day my build will be a work of art as this one is. Thanks for the tip on the belts. I will give it a try. I have some aluminum speed tape left over form my B-52 Days. I might give it a try.
  4. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Okay,
    Again I stand back in the shadow wishing that some day my build will be a work of art as this one is. Thanks for the tip on the belts. I will give it a try. I have some aluminum speed tape left over form my B-52 Days. I might give it a try.
  5. Swinger

Swinger Member

Yaniv, firstly I make a "circle" out of the part surrounding the formers (or discs) - so yes, I do close it. Then I glue both the former and that part, or that part only - that depends on how fast I want the glue catch. Lastly I put the former and the skin into the circle of the skin part, and the segment is complete.

And this is how I made the engine cowling.

I cut out some holes in the places where the exhaust pipes would be:

[​IMG]

The fit here was quite perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The card in P-8 is very easy to form - I don't know if it is caused by the quality of the paper itself, or by my varnish.
  6. Swinger

Swinger Member

Yaniv, firstly I make a "circle" out of the part surrounding the formers (or discs) - so yes, I do close it. Then I glue both the former and that part, or that part only - that depends on how fast I want the glue catch. Lastly I put the former and the skin into the circle of the skin part, and the segment is complete.

And this is how I made the engine cowling.

I cut out some holes in the places where the exhaust pipes would be:

[​IMG]

The fit here was quite perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The card in P-8 is very easy to form - I don't know if it is caused by the quality of the paper itself, or by my varnish.
  7. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Beautiful looking plane! Well done Swinger. Can not wait to see the finished model.
  8. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Beautiful looking plane! Well done Swinger. Can not wait to see the finished model.
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Swinger! :D

Once again, your excellent craftsmanship is an inspiration to behold!

This is a beautiful build and I am looking forward to more updates as you continue to share with us another awesome build.

Cheers!

Jim
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Swinger! :D

Once again, your excellent craftsmanship is an inspiration to behold!

This is a beautiful build and I am looking forward to more updates as you continue to share with us another awesome build.

Cheers!

Jim
  11. Swinger

Swinger Member

The centre section was a little too narrow:

[​IMG]

And, surprisingly, a little too short:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I have managed to fix it without any problem, though I'm not satisfied with how I mounted the centre section to the engine cowling.

[​IMG]

The red arrow indicates the strip which was added to mask the seam caused by too short centre section. The blue one shows the small rectangles put in the little seams on the sides.

[​IMG]

That's how the fuselage looks like at the moment:

[​IMG]

I've started to assemble the wings. The are no real problems with fitting, though I suggest using the linking strips made of paper instead of the original card ones. The formers are cool, I like when there's a lot of them. ;-) The wing tip was rounded with the "eraser method", shown in Spitfire 1:50 thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Swinger

Swinger Member

The centre section was a little too narrow:

[​IMG]

And, surprisingly, a little too short:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I have managed to fix it without any problem, though I'm not satisfied with how I mounted the centre section to the engine cowling.

[​IMG]

The red arrow indicates the strip which was added to mask the seam caused by too short centre section. The blue one shows the small rectangles put in the little seams on the sides.

[​IMG]

That's how the fuselage looks like at the moment:

[​IMG]

I've started to assemble the wings. The are no real problems with fitting, though I suggest using the linking strips made of paper instead of the original card ones. The formers are cool, I like when there's a lot of them. ;-) The wing tip was rounded with the "eraser method", shown in Spitfire 1:50 thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Swinger

Swinger Member

There was no problem with attaching the wings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Swinger

Swinger Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some problems with attaching the struts. The parts which link them to the fuselage (on the photo down there) have the slits wider than the struts. They are supposed to be formed by squeezing, but it is very difficult.

[​IMG]
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Swinger,

Beautiful build! The wing struts and attach fairings are immaculate. The PZl P-8/I is a great looking aircraft and your model is doing it justice.

Best regards, Gil
  16. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Swinger

Good to see your excellent work again. The struts look great! Had I been the one doing the work, I would still be debating showing my results...hehe.

Great look model. Looking forward to seeing the finished bird.
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Again another great build swinger!

I love the face on the front bulkhead..........and I really love that it is now smiling! It too likes what you are doing!

john
  18. Swinger

Swinger Member

Hi,

Ashrunner, in fact this baby is already finished (well, almost). During the last week I was in a hurry to finish it before today's and tomorrow's cardmodel competition in Warsaw, and in fact I managed to do that (my friend has taken there P-8 along with RWD-25 and ORP Dzik). I had few time, so I didn't want to spend it on writing and preparing the pics rather than building. Nevertheless, I was taking a lot of photos during the build, and clearly I am going to show them, but I want to have the model back to write about and show the rest of building process (I'll need additional photos). I'll probably have the models back by the end of the upcoming week, and then I'll show you the rest of the build report. P.S. Cool avatar, it's a Water Buffalo, isn't it?

Here I've got a few pictures of the almost finished model (I shall add some lacking details when the model is back) before being loaded into a transport box. The quality of these photos sucks, but I neither had time nor energy (after 11-hour non-stop marathone of building on Friday ; ) ) to take better ones (again, these must wait). I show these just to present the beautiful silhouette of PZL P-8 and give you a look onto the finished model. ; ) Yeah, I guess it is one of the most beautiful pre-war aircrafts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Definitely a beautiful build, Swinger. I'll look forward to the complete report and good luck in the competition.

As for the new avatar, it came about after this thread... http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2887&highlight=poobah ... and I sort of like it 8v)

I guess the cartoonist used the American Bison head as the basis for the Poobah hat...but I could be wrong.
  20. hpept

hpept Member

really good construction. Congratulation for your skills. I have a question: i really like the glossy appearance of the model and would like to know if coating the paper with lacquer doesn't weaken or deform the pages. You did it on a professionally prited model: do you think it can be done on a ink-jet printed page too?