pzkw 3,4,5,6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirta

Hi Guys,

My brother wants to try to build some paper german armor: Pzkw 3,4,5 and 6.
I know there are several kit out there: halinski, gpm, fly model, modelik and others.

can you recommend some good kits?
thank you

Regards,

Tirta

charliec

You don't say what scale you want to build in. From the selection of 1/25
models:

PzKpfw III
Ausf G - GPM has a 1/16 and 1/25 model - very detailed with interior
Ausf M - Modelik has an exterior model only - looks pretty good

PzKpfw IV
Ausf D - GPM has a 1/16 - very detailed
Ausf G - Modelik - older model - simplified in some areas
Ausf H - GPM 1/25 - very detailed exterior only

PzKpfw V Panther
Halinski - Might be better than their Tiger - very detailed and challenging

PzKpfw VI Tiger
Halinski - what the other guy said - there are some structural problems with this model - see forums on this site
Maly Modelarz - same designer as the Halinski Tiger - simplified but seems to build o.k.

PzKpfw VIB King Tiger
Porsche turret (early) - GPM - Seems quite a good exterior model
Henschel turret - Modelik - disappointing - lots of errors and over-simplified

There are also a number of models of derivatives of the basic tank such as the Hummel, Stugs, etc

Hope that helps

Regards,

Charlie

milhistory

I am working on the Halinski Tiger right now. It has a full interior and working tracks. The kit is fantastic with perfect fit and great coloring. The 3000+ parts are a bit daunting, however. I would recommend any of the Halinksi panzer kits.

The GPM and Modelik armor kits also look great, but I have not built any of them.

Brad

J

Jim Nunn

Hi Tetra,

I received your email but I thought would answer you here.

Charlie’s list is complete I would only add that the GPM PzKpfw H (7’2005) has a complete interior.

In general the Modelik kits tend to be less difficult to build then the GPM or Halinski kits as for fit Halinski is the best of the lot. For a starter model I would suggest the PzKpfw II by Halinski. Not a beginner’s model but it has no interior to speak of and the coloring and detail are superb. My second suggestion would be a Modelik kit.

Jim Nunn

charliec

I knew I shouldn't have tried to do the list from memory....

Thanks Jim for the correction

I'd add the PzKpfw 38(t) to the list of important Wehrmacht tanks. Admittedly
it was obsolete by 1942 but numerically it was important early in WW2. GPM
make a pretty good model of it.

Regards,

Charlie

Tirta

Hi Charlie, Brad and Jim,

Thank you for a such detailed and prompt reply.

I think I have to look at some building thread to have some ideas how the model looks like.
Do you guys know some?

One more question:
for the kits with interior detailing, is it possible to ignore it and build the model using only exterior parts?

Best regards,

Tirta

charliec

Tirta said:
One more question:
for the kits with interior detailing, is it possible to ignore it and build the model using only exterior parts?

That's a difficult question - I think it would be necessary to build at least the firewalls and bulkheads of the interior. Most of the models I've seen with an interior don't have stiff hulls but rely on the internal bulkheads to strengthen the model. I think you'd be better off to pick a model which didn't have an interior to start with.

Regards,

Charlie

Tirta

charliec said:
That's a difficult question - I think it would be necessary to build at least the firewalls and bulkheads of the interior. Most of the models I've seen with an interior don't have stiff hulls but rely on the internal bulkheads to strengthen the model. I think you'd be better off to pick a model which didn't have an interior to start with.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the advice.
I think you are right, I better start with no interior detailing such as modelik.

How big is 1/16 kit?
does it still use A4 paper?

>Porsche turret (early) - GPM - Seems quite a good exterior model
how is early gpm compared with more recent edition in term of printing quality?

Regards,

Tirta

PITERPANZER

Nobody remembers about 1-25 Pz III ausf J from GPM?
Old model,but possible to buy from second hand.My models has been introduced on this Forum ,it is good on the beginning,if You built standard.

J

Jim Nunn

Tetra,

The original English Article was in the Cardmodelers Zine at www.cardmodelers.org. I have not checked the site lately but as of a year ago the article was no longer available. The Paperships site only translated about two thirds of the article. If you want the English version drop me a private message and I’ll forward it to you. Keep in mind that it’s lots of megabytes

As for photos I keep telling my self to get the camera out and shoot photos of the models for our gallery I’ll get around to it soon. I may not do photos of the Tiger the suspension system has almost collapsed under the weight of the model and I need to rebuild it before I can show it again.

If I remember correctly the Halinski Panther had English instructions, but who reads the instructions … For you guys who would like English instructions Lue at PMI has translated the instructions for most of the models he sells and supplies then when you purchase the model from PMI.

Jim Nunn

charliec

Tirta said:
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the advice.
I think you are right, I better start with no interior detailing such as modelik.

How big is 1/16 kit?
does it still use A4 paper?

>Porsche turret (early) - GPM - Seems quite a good exterior model
how is early gpm compared with more recent edition in term of printing quality?

Regards,

Tirta

1/16 kits generally use B4 or A3 card - some of the parts are too large to fit on an A4 page. You can usually find the details on the format of Polish models
(and some others) at http://wsmk.konradus.com - click the flag at the top right for English.

There's a thread in the "first impressions" forum on this site about the GPM King Tiger - people who'd built said it was quite good but the top of the hull needed reinforcement. The printing quality of this model is pretty close to their latest models - fine detail and weathering. From memory we managed tp identify the company and unit the subject belonged to - fairly unusual in AFV models.

There was one Panther model I forgot - the Ausf D from Tanks2Scale - it used to be available by download - the site vanished ages ago. Perhaps someone still has a copy.

Regards,

Charlie

Tirta

I also find Tiger tank from betexa, is this a good & realistic kit?

and does anybody have the Tanks2Scale Panther?

Regards,

Tirta

charliec

The Betexa Tiger is 1/35 so it's probably going to be a bit compromised in terms
of the detail that can be applied. The model is described at http://www.betexa.cz/eng/btx-ramy.html?pol_pz6_tiger.html.

It's claimed to have only 74 parts. If you really wanted to go down this track then try Nobi's armour models (thaipaperworks) they are in 1/35 and about the same level of detail as the Betexa model.

I've got the Tanks2Scale Panther somewhere - send you a PM if I can find it.

Regards,

Charlie

Tirta

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the betexa information and the panther offer.
I am looking forward to receive your pm. :)

Does thai paper have german tanks?

Regards,

Tirta

charliec

Naka's models are 1/50 - although there's enough detail to allow for upscaling.
He has also got a T-34/76 model and is working on a Sherman. I would guess he's extremely time poor since he releases a new model about every 3 years.

Nobi hasn't got any German tanks (yet) - about the closest is his Puma model.

Regards,

Charlie

Tirta

Hi Charlie and nebeltex,

Yes, naka's Pzkw4 looks good.
It is too bad it does not have armor skirts.
How about if I make some and put on it?
Is it still historically accurate?

Can I put armor skirts on every Pzkw3 and 4? or only on some variants?

Regards,

Tirta

nebeltex

"It is too bad it does not have armor skirts.
How about if I make some and put on it?
Is it still historically accurate?

Can I put armor skirts on every Pzkw3 and 4? or only on some variants?"

i would say that armored skirts came into general usage during 1943, to counter hollow charge infantry weapons. by this time the F and G versions were being produced so no, it would not be historically accurate. don't let that stop you though. if only an expert can tell the difference, 99% of those who view your finished model will simply say "very nice". i don't have any skirts in panzergrau but i'll send you our mark 4 from the shelf. you should be able to use them as a general pattern. you will likely want the turret "skirts" too.

cheers, c.b.

charliec

The armor skirts are correctly called "Schurzen" - I think the introduction of Schurzen was close in time to the change to dunkelgelb base colour ( the dull yellow colour). Not all tanks had Schurzen after the start of 1943 - the Germans recycled and remade damaged and obsolete tanks throughout the war so it's hard to be definitive about the equipment of any model of German tank.

If you were going to add Schurzen to the ICM model I'd change the colour to dunkelgelb. I think you might find adding the supporting frame for the Schurzen might be difficult task on a small model. You would also have to change the gun - the IVG had the longer gun usually with muzzle break - there are some other small changes like relocating the radio aerial, removing the aerial pushover frame from under the gun, etc.

I think Schurzen were introduced on the Pz IIIL or M (very late models) - I'm not strong on Pz IIIs. Certainly the IIIN with the 75mm gun had Schurzen because it was mostly used for infantry support.

Regards,

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.