puzzle pieces

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
In a previous post I tried to explain how I cut up a piece of 1/8" thick luan plywood into building lots for my "N" scale module. I thought it would be a lot easier detailing buildings and surrounding landscaping on my workbench rather than bending over the layout. Between, work, grandchildren and the yard work I have completed two parts of the puzzle - well almost.

This is a picture of "Kathy's" restaurant setting up on a block of styro. The sign "Kathy's" are the "Shrinky dink" letters I posted some time back. Forgot where I got the structure, but I bashed the heck out of it. Still have to decide on a sidewalk color and add a board fence around the parking lot.

Attachments

• mvc-005s.jpg
    mvc-005s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 244

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bill,
The chain link fence looks like it might be strong enough to stand up to dry brush weathering. I would imagine that you might even get away with using a carefully applied wash.
I have some older structures that I want to use on the new modules, and your "puzzle" approach sounds like a great idea.
Pete

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks Guys,

Pete - on the fence, it is good and strong. I hammered some common pins into the plywood "puzzle piece" and clipped them down to the fence height. Problem is when I used the super glue on the pins to attach the fabric, some of it wicked along and into the mesh. The adhesive is clear now and not visible. If I weather the fence now it will show up. (Shucks, I hate learning curves) Attached a picture of the fabric I used, (described it in some previous post) picked it up in Jo-Anns Fabric, after a Christmas sale, think I paid a whopping .50 cents.

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 214

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Next piece under construction, love to play with names. For the benifit of those living outside the U.S. Home Depot is a big home improvement chain here in the US and I think parts of Canada.

Attachments

• mvc-020s.jpg
    mvc-020s.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 140

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm picking up a couple of great tips today! Bill, thanks for including a photo of the fencing material. Now I need to talk my wife into a trip with me to Jo-ann Fabrics (Hmmmm, think that will be difficult?) :D
Ralph