Put sound into an American Models S Scale GP-9

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by hminky, Jul 25, 2007.

1. hminky

hminky Member

2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Harold,
    My old AM GP's have the spring drive. Did you use new drive lines or did yours come that way?

Greg
  3. hminky

hminky Member

The new ones have the universals. Micromark sells the old Hobbytown driveshaft/universal system that is great. The spring drive isn't very good.

Harold
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Tell me about it. :D Adequate at best. I'll have to look into the Hobbytown driveshaft. I have 6 to replace. With that new motor, flywheels aren't needed?

Thanks,
    Greg
  5. hminky

hminky Member

I haven't been impressed with the American Models choice of motor. I guess it is adequate for the "Flyer" guys. Micromark has a can motor on sale that would really work well.

With the new skewed armatures, flywheels only add weight. Flywheels improved the old dreadful Bluebox 3 pole armature motor. I have never had a model run worse after getting rid of the flywheels if it had a skewed armature.

Harold
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

That's what I figured. Those old blue box units did have a rough running motor without the fly wheels. AM's market is 80% Flyer compatable with the scale people along for the ride. Thanks again for the tips on the drive shaft and so on.

Cheers,
    Greg