Prr Hh-1

e-paw

Mar 16, 2007
saylorsburg pa
just a few pics of a p2k hh-1 that I just finished.

Attachments

• hh1 002.jpg
    hh1 002.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 23
  • hh1 003.jpg
    hh1 003.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 21
  • hh1 004.jpg
    hh1 004.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 18

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice looking loco, and I like the covered hoppers, too. Is that air tank on the tender deck part of the air supply for the brakes, or is it for something else?

Wayne

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
E-Paw, I think you are the Pennsy expert I have been looking for!

I live on the west coast and have never seen a Pennsy loco in the flesh. I have to paint an I-1 decapod with the long tender and dog house, a T-1, and the S-2. Given the availability of modeler's paint currently out on the market, what choices do I have for the black (is it really green?), the graphite for the smoke box, and the red that is sometimes used on the tops of tenders and loco roof. I do have some colors in Floquil and Scalecoat, but its difficult to find anymore in hobby stores. I have searched a number of websites and have not found painting information, nor have I been able to find any color photos of the actual locos.

There are lots of rumors floating around the west coast regarding the 'green' that most think is 'engine black.' However, I have a factory painted Spectrum K-4 that sure looks black to me.

I am appreciative of any help you can give me, or anyone else out there can give me.
-Ed

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
THe E44s however,unlike the other electrics, were totally black. I can't remember the exact reason, but i think it had to do with black being cheaper, and at the time of the E44's arrival on PRR, there was alot of money problems.

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Thanks, Rekline, for the help. That website was pretty thorough in its description of colors.

I still have a question about the T-1. Should the color be black or might this one be Brunswick Green like the GG-1s? Would you know of any websites that might have color photos of the T-1?

Thanks!
-Ed

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I recall reading somewhere that Pennsy locos, and the T1 in particular, were painted Brunswick Green. For an idea of what the colour looks like, check Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania - look under "Railroad Equipment" - "Featured Locomotives". The Lindbergh Engine certainly looks black, but if you read down to the bottom of the story, it's noted as Brunswick Green.

Wayne

e-paw

Mar 16, 2007
saylorsburg pa
Brunswick is the right color for PRR steam. I mix it with some Pullman green if I want a faded effect. The tender deck and cab roof are Polly Scale special oxide red #414354 I believe it is a PRR color. As for A Pennsey expert that I am not (sorry), I know a lot more info an the CNJ than the PRR.

rekline

Oct 20, 2006
Somewhere in New England
I don't believe that there are any T1 survivors, too bad, but now that I think of it, I do believe that the T1's were Brunswick Green. I typically model the smaller engines due to size constraints and didn't spend a lot of time on the bigger engines (more modern if you can say that for steam) and know that Pennsey started with the green when they were bringing deisels into the mix.

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
Don't know where all you guys keep getting the notion that Pennsy owned BLACK locomotives!! I do not recall about early steam aka 4-4-0s and such but PRR steam locomotives classes A-T were GREEN. That would be officially known as Dark Green Locomotive Enamel and that was long before the coming of the diesel to PRR. Known to some as Brunswick Green, it was carried over from the steam era onto the diesels, including passenger units, which soon after adopted the Tuscan Red of the passenger cars. And as far as I can tell, the E44s were green too, but they used recycled steam engine bells off the T-1s on the E44s, so who knows what other cost-cutting measures they may have stooped to.

Even the second hand 2-8-8-2s from N&W got painted green. As well as the C&O spec 2-10-4s.

Sorry to be a stickler, but I hate it when people call PRR locos black. Don't know why it bothers me so, the colors were so darn close when new, but faded more green as time went on...

Dave

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Well, I am still confused, but at least I know why!

Can anyone come up with a color photo of a steam loco and a T-1? Its hard to believe that my internet searches have turned up nothing but B&W photos.
-Ed

ScratchyAngel

Mar 25, 2008
Pullman, WA
If you do advanced image search on Google you can choose only full color images.

Here's a "PRR T-1" Search As usual, tons of irrelevant stuff, but some hits.

Below is the most impressive of the bunch IMHO.

T1_photo.jpg

Live Search lets you filter down to color after typing in your search (though some B+W still show up). The tin sign reproduction below showed up there. Not a real photo, but shows at the time they advertised them as green.

26-I-PRR.jpg

Hope either helps,

Jason

ScratchyAngel

Mar 25, 2008
Pullman, WA
Yeah, I have a feeling a lot of web images of the old color stuff came from prints or slides that had sat long enough to shift quite a bit. I'm surprised at the sharpness too, though. Your comment made me think about trying to bring out the flesh/red/brick bits a bit. Not sure this is accurate, but maybe closer to real colors than as found on the web.

PRRT1Edited.jpg