PRR C-Liner First Run

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Dec 12, 2006
Staff Writer

A new aquisition, this PRR C-Liner in Brunswick Green starts its first excursion run pulling a Parlor and Double Window Chair Car on day trips from the Charlotte/Ballantyne Division to Ashville. Although primarily a freight diesel, this C-Liner will get an easier life taking day-trip passengers around the North Carolina mountains, stopping twice for meal service at local trackside restaurants. A dining car might one day be added, but for now passengers get to stretch their legs, take some pictures of the scenery, and enjoy the cool mountain air and foliage. Officials at the Ballantyne Amtrak station said the first month's schedule is already sold out as word is spreading about this seldom seen diesel re-entering excursion service.

Attachments

• Copy of PC150071.JPG
    Copy of PC150071.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Copy of PC150058.JPG
    Copy of PC150058.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Copy of PC150069.JPG
    Copy of PC150069.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Copy of PC150066.JPG
    Copy of PC150066.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Copy of PC150063.JPG
    Copy of PC150063.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 95

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thank's Ralph...it's a LifeLike Proto-N and a smooth running diesel. So far I'm very happy with the quality of the Proto-N series. I've got two LifeLike Proto-N GP60's as well and they run and look great. Compared to the Kato/Atlas/Athearn, I feel the LL Proto series is a great value. The up close quality is as good or better than the higher priced lines (I tried to capture that in the above pictures). The lettering is crisp too. I have not tried to modify them with DCC yet...but have read that LL has made strides to simplify that process too.

I've got a Precision Craft Models PA2 in Delaware & Hudson colors ordered through my LHS...it looks like they make a great looking diesel, and I'm hoping to get a Kato Santa Fe PA1 as well and compare the two. Can't quite afford the "tricked out" PA2 from Precision so I'm getting the straight no-sound DC model. As a sidebar...Kato certainly makes a good running diesel, but are they losing their edge to the other manufacturers I wonder? There seems to be less fine-detailing on Kato's recent diesels compared to recent models by Atlas, LifeLike and Athearn.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
What is it about the PRR that looks...I dunno...almost regal? I guess it's that single gold pin stripe...all business, straightforward, no nonesense.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
GREAT looking FM Herc!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: your layout is looking FANTASTIC TOO!:thumb: painted rails, telephone lines, oh heck, it ALL makes the FM look even better!:thumb::D
VERY NICE.:D -Deano

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thank you very much. But the layout improvements are honestly derived from what I've learned on this website forum - and from the great looking layouts posted on the-gauge.