Proto vs Athearn

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
J. Steffen said:
So do the Atherns. When I bought decoders for the two I got recently, they were nine pin. The gal at the hobby shop said that it allowed for sound.

No, they don't. the 9 pin is there for 9 pin decoders, not sound. Loksound decoders for example run on the 8-pin plugs.

the problem here is speaker installation. Nowhere in the Athearn is there a good place for any of the aftermarket sound systems unless you modify it. some might be easier than others, like an F unit has lots of space for a speaker, while your Athearn GP40-2 or U-boat will have a tough time squeezing the speaker in anywhere. Sure, you can get a smaller speaker, but sound quality will go down.

the horrible thing with the atlas is that they made the weights so that you could mount 2 large speakers in an A frame over the drive shaft, and in the silver series they replace the speakers with round weights. If the QSI decoder was available, it would be easy to plug the decoder in and attach the speakers.

Loksound decoders require the afforementioned pressure chambers that take up alot of room, and i'm not entirely sure the metal clip thing can apply the right kind of pressure to the speaker. The other sound decoder Manufactuerers don't even make sounds for my B40-8, so they are done to.

these people need to start selling thinner speakers so that they can fit in the tight spaces of the locomotives.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
CRed said:
This would also be handy for BLI and Proto 2000 engines.I'm actually amazed they haven't tapped into the DIY crowd yet.

Chris

so am I. Like i said above, people would buy that stuff up.

I'm thinking this has alot to do with money. someone is getting payed more to keep these QSI decoders as part of the locomotive.

QSI did announce seperate sale decoders, and they even have a website for it, but i don't have a link. its very broad, but they say they will sell there stuff soon. last i heard is that they are having some sort of weird issue holding them up.

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
green_elite_cab said:
No, they don't. the 9 pin is there for 9 pin decoders, not sound. Loksound decoders for example run on the 8-pin plugs.

the problem here is speaker installation. Nowhere in the Athearn is there a good place for any of the aftermarket sound systems unless you modify it. some might be easier than others, like an F unit has lots of space for a speaker, while your Athearn GP40-2 or U-boat will have a tough time squeezing the speaker in anywhere. Sure, you can get a smaller speaker, but sound quality will go down.

the horrible thing with the atlas is that they made the weights so that you could mount 2 large speakers in an A frame over the drive shaft, and in the silver series they replace the speakers with round weights. If the QSI decoder was available, it would be easy to plug the decoder in and attach the speakers.

Loksound decoders require the afforementioned pressure chambers that take up alot of room, and i'm not entirely sure the metal clip thing can apply the right kind of pressure to the speaker. The other sound decoder Manufactuerers don't even make sounds for my B40-8, so they are done to.

these people need to start selling thinner speakers so that they can fit in the tight spaces of the locomotives.

hmmm...I'll

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
green_elite_cab said:

hmmm...I'll have

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
green_elite_cab said:

hmmm...I'll have to

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
green_elite_cab said:

hmmm...I'll have to look

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
green_elite_cab said:

hmmm...I'll have to look into it.

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Athearn made GP30

I have some Athearn made GP30 that has not been produced for a long time. I think Irvine Athearn didn't want to make two similar locomotives and when he released the GP35 he had the GP30 production canceled. I have this one in factory paint and 3 others . One more in NYC and two I painted in PRR.

Attachments

• athearn gp30 #2532.jpg
    athearn gp30 #2532.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 22

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
A Bev- Bel GP30

Here is a odd ball GP30
This 30 was custom painted and released by Bev-Bel. It uses a Bachmann body and details. And a Athearn drive. It came in a Athearn box with a Bev-Bel lable.

Attachments

• bev-bel gp-30. (bachmann athearn).jpg
    bev-bel gp-30. (bachmann athearn).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 20