Proto 2000 Electrical Question

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
The Robber Barron is baffled!!!

My friend bought a Proto 2000 E8 from the LHS that doesn't know beans about trains. It was on sale for $30 bucks and there were no instructions in the box. It won't run. It has one of those simulated gyro-lites that does work.

What is that massive curcuit board in the rear of the loco for? Is it a decoder or just the circuit for the gyro-lite? I suspect the problem lies there but I am recluctant to try to get around it until I know for sure. My friend does not use DCC.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks for the information Shay and Jon.

Shay, the shorting plug is in place but I didn't know what it was for. I'm betting that is where the problem is as I get no power to the motor and I'll bet that one or more of those pins are not making contact. I can "jumper" the motor to the trucks and it runs fine. I'll check it out.

Oh Me!! :eek:ops: Whatever happend to locos with 2 wires:confused: :D :D :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Vic: do you need info on what the shorting plug should be shorting?
One wire on each side goes to the wheels; one wire on each side goes to the motor; the other wires do silly things with the lights. You should be able to look at it and decide, unless the wires are all hidden.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Vic
Oh Me!! :eek:ops: Whatever happend to locos with 2 wires:confused: :D :D :D

Hee, hee...ever wonder why Model Railroader magazine stopped using the motto, "Model Railroading is Fun." Ha, Ha, Hee, Hee, Ho, Ho, they're coming to take me away to the funny farm....:eek:

Try turning the plug 180 degrees.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks David and thanks again Shay.

Its gonna be Monday before I get back to the loco. In my frustration with the thing I went and left it over at my friend's house:eek: :D :D and they have gone off for the weekend.

I'll report back on the results.

P

philip

Vic: This is a hard one to work on. I ran mine off the rail and it hit the floor/shattered to pieces. had it on the bench for a week fixing it back up. Really good out fit as far as service and parts ...couldn't be happier.

If the one schematic isn't clear enough e-mail me and I'll get a good copy to you.:wave:
this is page 8

Attachments

• address.jpg
    address.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 96

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Fixed It !!!

Hot Dog!!!:) Its up and running:) :thumb: Thanks to everyone who offered their advice!!:) :) :)

The problem was in the shorting plug. There was a solder "bridge" between two of the pins. It was finer than a frog' hair:D :D :D and I only detected it by looking at the plug under a magnifier.:eek:

My friend was so happy that he grilled us T-Bones for supper:) :) :D :D :p :p

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Re: Re: Fixed It !!!

Originally posted by shaygetz

"US" does include me, Jon and Phillip...right?:rolleyes:

But of course it does.... I just e-mailed a couple to each of you...hope you have a big mail box 'cause I put some 'taters in there too!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

P

philip

fixed

Good deal. Glad to help out. I love those proto E-8.
How was the T-bone?:D

philip

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Lea and Perrins steak sauce ready and waitin'...:D :p :thumb: Glad it worked out, I will definately file that cure in my Proto 2000 troubleshooting checklist :thumb: