Proper weight for rolling stock

RobL

In doing some test runs on my track, I noticed some of my rolling stock was wobbling along the rail to varying degrees... some very little shake, some exhibited an obnoxious amount of shake. In reading some reviews in Model Railroader, I noticed they talk about the weight being under or over by xxx ounces. I can tell that my cars that wobble are lighter than those that do not wobble.

My question is, does anyone have a table that states what the proper weight is supposed to be for various sized HO equipment? I would like to get rid of the wobble, but at the same time not make the cars so heavy that my engines have a hard time pulling them up the grades.

Thanks,
--Rob.

RobL

Excellent! Thanks much. I will check the trucks too... I know some of them seem loose, so that combined with the proper weight will hopefully solve the wobble.

Thanks again!
--Rob.

Russ Bellinis

The correct mounting of your trucks should result in a "3 point" suspension system. You achieve that by tightening one truck so that it swivels freely, but does not rock. The other truck is tightened the same way, then back off slightly to allow just a little rocking. Also, check your trucks carefully. Make sure that the wheels spin freely without wobble in the truck side frames. Make sure the trucks are not bent to allow "crab walking" of the entire truck. Most freight car trucks are plastic casting, and defects are always a possibility. Most manufacturers will stand behind their products and replace defective trucks. If you don't find anything wrong with the trucks make sure there is no casting flash or other problems with the bolster on the bottom of the car that rocks.

Gary S.

I had the same problem with a couple of cars. They had Proto2k metal wheelsets. I changed them out to Intermountain and the problem was solved. Of course, I have other P2K wheelsets that are just fine. Anyway, you may want to check for bent axles or mis-aligned wheels. What you can do is just put different wheelsets on the trucks and see if it still wobbles. That will narrow down the area causing the problem.

msowsun

Dirty, out of round, wheels cause wobble. Wobble It can be reduced by various methods, but why not eliminate the cause.