Project Dropship 1:24 / Aliens

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Sorry for a long delay between posts, but i have a small child (3months) and everything is completely upside down. I´m preparing an update of my Alienspapercraft pages allmost 2 months, but that little guy (his name is Daniel;)) ..:shifty::arghh: have all my attention now( specially at night) :D ...and the forum posts have low priority in all that (i´ve no time for anything:dead:) .....sorry..:(..be patient:angelic:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on the NEW ADDITION to the family!!!:cigar:
Secondly, do not worry about not being here for so long. It is understandable when you have a new child that needs your attention.
Third, take all of the time you need. We will still be here!!!
SO NO WORRIES!!!

biggusdoggus

Congratulations.
And as Rhaven said, you take all the time you need. Real life > papercraft.
and we've waited 28 years for something like this - a little longer won't matter.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Congratulations from me, too! :) No need to be sorry at all, we are patient! ;)

Danscrew

Danscrew
Several people make of magnificent thing here but nothing is most fabulus the birth of a new child. It is not easy but it is so wonderful. My baby is 15 years old and he have just made his first job offer already. It passes very too fast.

CONGRAT ! my friend

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, with the sleep deprivation you are going through, I can't believe you can do anything but take care of your child! Awesome! :)

Alien99

Papercraft Member
I´switched ON to multitasking :Coffee:

...and thanks for all your wishes.;)

Last edited:

Manianez

All best in this fresh started new year for everyone here.
I have to confess i'm a big fan of youre work Jan, since the beginning, yet i never build anything accept Tron lightcycle loong time a go... there is always something in the way, work, home space, fammily, now im reaching point when my son will grow up to this ( he's 6 now) and i hope i will have both asistance and enthusiasm to do models with him...
I think about 7 years a go i've even asked you if you know any good papercraft models of APC and dropship in 1/72 scale, so now, when i found youre on, doing 1/24 model... man thats my wishes come true, i just read whole topic from page 1, and have one question and one idea (but you will propabely not use it as you progressed with work from stage im about to give the idea)...
... so the idea first
- the Engine Intakes... i think they should have some sort of blinds to close them for space fly mode, idea simmilar to MIG29th intakes. They are closed for start from grass or dusty airfields as runeways... i have a pic of what i mean its from also fictional aircraft VF-1 Valkyrie from Macross Anime series ... the shape is different, but thats just to visualise the idea...
intake_leading_edge.jpg

...and i think that in model showing dropship "flightready" in the bay, those should be closed as prepared for first part of the flight...

Second thing is angle of nose section of APC... are you absolutelly shure about only 4 degrees?? For shure its not 13°, but...APC skadanka.jpg

...especially on picture 5 it really looks like a little bit more than 4°, could you pose youre model and camera at same angles to confirm??

With best reagards, Manianez

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
This should be compared using in the Orthogonic views, the compared to in "Perspective" views. This is most necessary to find the right angles when not exact reference cannot be found. If you can import the Picture as a Background image, or "Pictureframe", then scale it to match the vehicle, you can discern these angles.

Alien 99, a 3 month old , I am so envious of you. My son turned 15 on December 29th. I remember 3 months like it was this morning. We are moving at the speed of light, because we are beings of light. It is a bittersweet thing, this love for our children. :( :)

Bugstomper79

Second thing is angle of nose section of APC... are you absolutelly shure about only 4 degrees?? For shure its not 13°, but...View attachment 139404

...especially on picture 5 it really looks like a little bit more than 4°, could you pose youre model and camera at same angles to confirm??

The angles were different between the full scale prop of the APC (pics 1, 2, 3, 4) and the model (pics 5 and 6).
Other differences are obvious in the scene when the APC is backed up onto the dropship ramp as well:
APC-Differences.jpg

Obviously the full scale ramp prop wouldn't have been able to hold the weight of the APC (35 tons iirc) - i'm not even sure if it could have fit sizewise.
There are more differences like the thickness of the wheel armor plates and even the overall proportions (length/height ratio) seem to be different.

I would consider the full scale prop the "correct" one and neglect the filming model...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That's always the problems when making models, you have to do what looks best and fits the situation. If your making the drop ship, you just want the APC to be able to fit. The angle differences should be such that there is enough clearance when the vehicle is going down the ramp, it doesn't hit. That will give you the angle you need, in the practical sense, then you go for the cosmetic angle from there. Lots of work. :)

silveroxide

When I built the APC, there were three different prop versions. I took some references from all three to build it. As for the interior of the APC, there were also many different prop variations as well. In fact, the prop interiors were all too large/big to fit into the insides of the APC. Again, I took what looked good and built the insides with a pick of different parts for the interior. My build for my version of the APC is here http://zealot.com/threads/model-of-meritorious-mention-jans-aliens-apc-m-557.174430/ I am not a rivet counter and that is why I like SCI-FI, it gives me the freedom to build as I like and not worry if I were to build a German Tiger tank and I built the earlier version and attached a later version turret. If it looks good, do it. The same goes for Aviation, for example, there where many versions of the ME-109 but there are some aesthetic differences between the variations. To me, a 109 is an 109 in spite of those differences. If you made a claim to build an accurate model, then it falls on the builder to be true to the model in question. Enjoy the build thread for what it is and for the effort of the designer in sharing with the community.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Very true, ring your words of wisdom Silveroxide! I do not like to get "anal" about these things too, kills all the fun, though the B-17 John Dell gave me looks like the real thing!! Some people can and do pull it off. ;)

jdl_b-17e_peggyd_cover.jpg

biggusdoggus

I'm just hoping that Alien99 is still working on this project, because it's all kinds of awesome. I know from personal experience that family takes up an awful lot of time especially when kids are young, but we've heard nothing since October.

His website was given an overhaul at Christmas by the looks of things, which suggests he's still active. Hopefully the sleepless nights and constant crying/feeding/pooing is taking less of toll now.

desktopsimmer

Congrats on the baby. I know the first 12 months are hard, but it does get easier! :)

I've been slowly working on my dropship and made some limited progress on the cockpit and improved the cargo/APC area01.png 02.png 03.png 04.png 05.png :

I also did realised how much of a Vulcan Bomber they has utilised. The forward landing gear is from the main landing gear of the Vulcan, probably the rear landing gear has element of the nose landing gear of the Vulcan too. the control sticks are from the cockpit of Vulcan.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Fantastic Renders. Very insightful, Thank You! :)