Progress update on the Madison Central of Wisconsin

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
After getting some work done on the Madison Central of Wisconsin, I thought I'd post some progress shots of the High Bridge near the Ablemann quarry. The bridge and quarry dioram were meant to have 3 feet of space for transition between them but space constraints prevented that. I butted the high bridge to the quarry and the fit was less than desireable, but that's what makes it so fun.

This layout is being built in two levels, the upper will rest at the top edges of the backdrops you see on these lower level shots.

First the East end or the far side from the quarry. This side received new benchwork and makes a large curve into the town of Dachshundville. It is where I have this scene divider placed as a view block. At the upper right is newly carved foam that will blend the two parts together.
Dachsy_progr_4.jpg

When first assembled, this is what the area looked like. From near to far(right to left), quarry diorama, the high bridge and then the new end module serving as the curve into Dachshundville.
Layout_progress_6.jpg

Here is the far side with the foam carved and sculptamolded.
Dachsy_progr_6.jpg

And the first train through the area, G.N. rock train led by M.C.o.W. GP9 #1755....
highbrg_1.jpg

As mentioned, there was to be three more feet of railroad between these two modules. This is what it looked like when first joined.......
Layout_progress_2.jpg

Mostly carved foam with sculptamold fillings, it takes shape....
Able_progr_1.jpg

And a west bound sand train made up of ore-jennies poses for the completed view...
highbrg_8.jpg

And a view from the valley finds two commuter service F's leading a GP30 on an eastbound manifest....
highbrg_13.jpg

Happy modeling,

Johnny

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice rockwork, Johnny, and some great looking scenes. While I have noticed the wrecked car in the gorge before, this is the first that I've seen that tree growing up through it: it's a great effect that really lends some background "history" to the scene. :thumb: Nice work!

Wayne

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
Thanks Guys,

John R.--The inspiration for these comes from the Rock Springs Quarry near Baraboo, Wisconsin. It's pretty much how they look, with a lot of 'quartzite' in these hills it gives them that purple-ish hue that you see in the photos.

Miles-- Blending the scene is what took so long to post about. I knew it wouldn't be easy, and I procastinated long enough and just started it one day. I'll try and get more stuff up.

Wayne--Yeh, funny it's been ther all along and because the area was originally 'forested' you couldn't see it and it is one of the first things visiters at the scene comment about. So I cleared the area to doi the work and will probably re-plant some trees but so that this shows up in photos.

HOtrainman said:
I love the train car that crashed. how did you get it that shape?

About 30-40 seconds at a time in the microwave laying on a piece of wood, to make it bend as if striking the rock edge and crumpling on the way down. Oh yeh, I also did it while the wife was at work. She still havs'nt recovered from the blender incident.

For giggles, Here's a couple more:

The Dachshundville turn on the way back to Madison....
highbrg_12.jpg

And here's my second favorite lady pulling my project freedom train....
highbridge_3.jpg

The PLAN is, to paint the surrounding hills in. Something I have NEVER done. But there was a time when carving rock was in the same category. But the next step for me is the tunnel scene at LaRue......
LaRue_progr_2.jpg

More to come......

Happy Modeling!!

Johnny