Progress Report on the New Badger Creek

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thought I would show how far I have got with the new Badger Creek, all the bottom level trackwork is now in and working, all points have motors attached and are wired. Here's a photo of what I have been up to since Jan 3rd.

Shamus

Attachments

• 4pics.jpg
    4pics.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 142

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shamus;

It all looks just fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing the progress with the rest of us. Maybe it will all help build a fire under me to get cranked up again and make some progress on my own layout.

Bob

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
cuppa

Shamus,

Your pace is frightening! What we need is a pic of you enjoying a cuppa tea and a big grin of satisfaction with your own handywork!

Hey guys, wadda ya reckon we all chip in ten bucks each for a round the world plane ticket for Shamus? First stop, Sydney of course! (and h'es not leavin' til I say so!). Now let me see.... 350 Guage members, that's $3,500. Sheesh! That's enough for First Class!!:eek:

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Woodie;

I agree completely with the concept regarding shipping Shamus around the world, but me thinks you'd better get out and do a little more fund raising. I checked on the price of a business class round trip ticket from Los Angeles to Sydney and return a couple of days ago and that was $7,006US:eek:

Bob

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I'm not sure of the cost, but it might be cheaper to ship him via intermodal freight. What we could do is finish out the interior of one of those containers into a living quarter, then Shamus could travel via ship, truck or train to virtually anywhere!

-Rory

P.S. - There are several sitting behind Wal-mart. I wonder if they'll let me have one? :)

P.P.S. - Sorry, Shamus, but majority rules here. Get your layout finished and pack your bags! hehehehe

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I had another idea after I clicked Submit... If we went with the intermodal freight container, then maybe you ought to finish building Badger Creek inside the container. That way you could take it with you! :)

-Rory

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Guys,
Love the concept of an around the world model railoading fun packed trip, I am ready to leave anytime :p ;) :D ;) :p So I had better start packing Yeh.:rolleyes:
Now got all the baseboards finished, and a start on the rest of the track is underway, will post some pics later. It's four level, with a 14" difference from bottom to top.

Shamus

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Shamus I visited your website a little while ago. I guess I was looking at pictures of what you have tore down. I thought it was fantastic, can hardly wait to see the new and improved version (if thats possible). Your scenery is the best I have ever seen.You ought to submit your stuff to be published in Model Railroader(or have you already?).Keep it up and keep posting so we can drool over your work!:D

John Sneed

Nov 15, 2001
Columbia, Mo
Visit site
General talk

I have been looking at what you all have been doing with your new layouts, and I'am full of envy at what your doing. I have my bench work done{4x8 flat plywood} and have trying to come up with a track plan to fit what I want. I would like to have a double ovel with the outside one higher than the inside one. They have to be able to cross from inside out and outside in. I would like a small{5 or 6 tracks} yard also. My problem will be reaching across the mainline to get to the yard.Do make a ovel or dogbone it and put my yard beteen the loops of the dogbone?If the outside loop is elevated how do I get the trains to my yard fron the elevated track? The wiring will be block, so I,am going to have to handle the yard trains. So tthats my problem.Its not much of one,but i can't come up with any way to work it out.It took me a long time just to decide on HO or N scale. the senapes[sp] of my brain are not working well at my advanced age. So, if anyone has any ideas to ofter, I would be more than happy to hear them. Thanks for any help that is offered. John Sneed

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
John,

So which scale are you using? Here is an HO layout design by Atlas which is a double-oval. The switching section at the bottom could be modified into a yard, I suppose:

http://www.atlasrr.com/products/fanlayout/holayout/ho6.html

Now if you were using N-scale, the sky would be the limit in 4 x 8! Check out some of these layouts from Atlas, as well:

http://www.atlasrr.com/products/fanlayout/nflintro.html

N-18, the Gulf Summit Lines and Susquehanna Valley Railway looks very interesting. It'll fit in 4 x 8 with room to spare! If I'd had the money, I probably would have attempted to build that one.

Check out the layout books in the hobby shops. You can find a bunch of plans designed for 4 x 8.

-Rory

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Hi Shamus,
I only became aware of your site 2 weeks ago, it's fabulous, just can't see how you could bring yourself to disassemble it!!!
You must be the fastest result getter I've ever come across for building layouts. In quality of modelling you rank way up there in the John Allen league.
One question though Shamus:-
do you use Shinohara HOn3 track with self built stub switches? If so, is there a UK supplier of that track? Several times on my visits to the USA I bought Shinohara HOn3 switches but only a limited qty of track.

I'm steadily assembling the MDC 2-truck HOn3 shay (testing at every stage of assembly) because i want it to work as smoothly as their HO 3-trucker).

I'm truly grateful for you sharing your photos and inspiring us and needless to say, I and many others are looking forward to seeing your new layout take shape.

I'm not a rivet counter :)

kettlestack

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi kettlestack,
My track is H0 scale using code 100 Peco for track & points (Turnouts) I have used code 75 & 55 in the past but on reflection when all track is ballasted and painted, it is very hard to tell the differnce in scales.
If you take great care with your MDC shay kit, it will turn out fine, I have built 5 of these now.
Shamus

John Sneed

Nov 15, 2001
Columbia, Mo
Visit site
general talk

roryglasgow I've looked at both layout in the Alas books and thought I would build one, the trunk line in book [no 6] level 1,or the minimum size twice around [in book 11].the Gulf summit looks like itr would be more than i can handle.and the other is not Quite what i want. My wife tells me we have a program on the cp that you can draw on. maybe i can play with that and see what i can come up with. Thanks for your input. John