Progress Photos

Here are three "progress" photos of a "backwoods" oil tank car I've been working on. The base painting and decaling of the tank and frame is finished, as is the preliminary weathering. Final weathering and detailing - including barrels, hoses, chains, etc - will be done after the trucks and couplers are installed. The decking was done board by board.

The lighting is not too good in these. I shot them on the kitchen counter yesterday morning while waiting on the coffee.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• tankprogressps18.jpg
    tankprogressps18.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 308

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
Incredible, awesome, outstanding and fantastic are a few words that come to mind! :D :cool: :cool: :)

Er -- Yep. Goes for me too.

Shamus

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That is one AWESOME model, Casey!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Is it going to be standard gauge?
What did you use to make the tank?

Bill and Charlie,

Sorry I didn't get back right away to answer your questions. I've been off fighting in the Troll Wars :mad: The good guys lost. :mad: :mad: And my wife has been ill, so my time has been limited. :(

Anyway... I didn't make the tank shell. I thought about it; it would have been easy to make with some PVC pipe, a PVC sleeve, some .020 styrene for the tank ends, and a piece of .020 styrene strip for the bands. The tank shell, instead, is a resin casting from SierraWest. I did make the grab irons from blackened brass wire bent over a piece of stripwood, and the ledge is a piece of styrene ACC'd to the tank's side. I have a lot of details yet to add, and I've been "experimenting" with designing and printing my own road-name decals for this and some other cars yet to be built.

Yes, it's standard gauge. After scratchbuilding a tool caboose (photos posted in the Photo Forum some time back) in HOn3, I decided to stick with standard gauge. Trying to assemble those HOn3 trucks was enough to convince me of that. :rolleyes:

I don't have any more done on it than what you see in the photos. Again, lack of real modeling time got in the way. I hope to get back to it this weekend.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Yes, Casey,
It's good to have you back from the "front" safe & sound...;)
Take good care of Mrs. Casey...hope she's better soon.

C

Catt

Casey the more I think about the Troll Wars the more I think we got sold out.:eek: :eek:

Oh well we live to fight another day (gawd I hope not).How's the wife feeling now? Hope shes doing GREAT!!