Progress on the Perth and Exeter

Pooh Bah
After all this time, I think I should give a little update on what I'm doing.
I'm installing control panels. The two small stations are getting Atlas controllers, but the large station is getting a full panel.
I had help and finished wiring the panel (not hooked up to track yet) and last night started testing the connections. There were only 2 problems -- both push buttons. One of the dead end tracks had a normally closed button, and one of the others didn't work at all -- looks like we melted the button when soldering. Of course, it was in the middle of a string of 4.

Pooh Bah
Exeter (St. Dayle's)

Attached should be the track plan I used for Exeter (St. Dayle's) station.
I had to drop a few tracks. Oh, and it's reversed.;)

Attachments

• exeter.jpg
    exeter.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 436

shamus

Registered Member
Hi David,
Always have to alter/change in the middle of something:D Nice looking plan. BTW, seen that plan before I think, is it one of "C.J.Freezers" plans? In reverse.

Shamus
wink.gif

Pooh Bah
Shamus: it is, from one of the Peco books. The reverse just fit (I have a sixteen foot wall).
It took me a while to reverse it, till I photocopied it on a transparency and turned it over.
There are a few problems, because the original plan expected left hand running, and I had to drop a vital crossover.
(My wife was allowed to vet the plans, but when it was done she said "It's all TRACK! Where's the scenery?")

Pooh Bah
Chris:
The scenery came on the next few walls (I've got 3 3/4 walls.)
Two items I meant to mention in the first post:
Push buttons are fragile (at least, Radio Shack's are) and if you don't use a heat sink you can melt the terminals far enough out of position that they don't work.
What use are normally closed push buttons to a model railroad? I carefully examined the packages and picked up the wrong one.

Pooh Bah
Exeter (St. Dayle's)

Here is the station from the end, taken from the basement stairs.
(camera has no adjustments, so focus is not the best)

Attachments

• perthex01.jpg
    perthex01.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 330

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Hi Dave, nice to see the Perth and Exeter picture and track plan.
You posted a photo of a bridge elswhere. Does it fit into this layout?

Pooh Bah
Robin:
The bridge is on the opposite wall to Exeter.
I've been working like mad, and Extere now has new platforms. I used 1/2" styrofoam, cut to fit between the tracks (only two of them are straight) painted charcoal on top with white edging.
The track on the right now is the start of a 2% grade which will go up a removable section to the high level station, completing a continuous run. (maybe I should call it an insertable section ;) )

Pooh Bah
Perth town

Picking up the thread over a year later. :rolleyes:
A side street in Perth, just beside the market.

Attachments

• IMGP0403.jpg
    IMGP0403.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 164

Pooh Bah
Perth High Street

This is the length of the town. Taken from where the market building usually sits. The station is up above the town, on the left.

Attachments

• IMGP0404.jpg
    IMGP0404.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 163

Pooh Bah
Control Panel #1

The control Panel for Perth.
Left hand panel is track diagram and point (switches) controls. Right hand is blocks -- Atlas components.

Attachments

• IMGP0398.jpg
    IMGP0398.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 160

Pooh Bah
Control Panel #2

Controls panel for St. Mary Ax (pronounced Simmery Ax).
Only 3 blocks, all points by hand. Buttons control dead ends in platforms.
Rotary switches select one of 4 power packs, Atlas component then picks a rotary switch. Avoids jumping when the rotary passes a live power pack.
There is also a paper track diagram that I didn't get in.

Attachments

• IMGP0397.jpg
    IMGP0397.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 159

Pooh Bah
Control panel #3

Exeter (St. Dayle's)
The big station on the line. See track plan above.
Block controls and point controls on same panel. A monster, dangles from the benchwork but can be pushed in.
(Afraid to show the back, and I don't think I can photograph it.)
I need to rewire bits of it.

Attachments

• IMGP0395.jpg
    IMGP0395.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 70

rcline

I love to see the work of a person who has talent and determanation hard at work. Great job!!! Post more photos !!!!!!! must see!

Pooh Bah
Uh, there hasn't been much done on the line since I completed the continuous run. Between my mother-in-law's death and my detached retina (now a cataract), I've missed both the time and inclination. With one eye tempararily wonky, I don't feel I can do decent modelling. I have been running trains, though, and playing with the digital camera. Sorry the pictures came out so small.

Pooh Bah
Control panel #3 is masonite face on a 1x2 frame.
You can make out a board at the left side. This is screwed on to the panel (one each side) and there is a dowel or broom handle joins the two pieces and sits behind the legs of the shelving. The top shelf has enough clearance that the panel can be pushed back in. The dowel holds the control panel when it's out. You can see the wire for the switch machine studs dangling down the front.