Progress on the Highline trestle

jwmurrayjr

HI folks! This is my first post on the Guage and I'm pretty new at this (about a year). You've got a lot of good stuff here.

Well, the Highline trestle is finally open for operation. Construction has made a major turning loop unavailable for some weeks now, but at last the bridge is open for traffic.

http://www.railroadforum.com/upload/jwmurrayjr/DSCF0085.JPG

http://www.railroadforum.com/upload/jwmurrayjr/DSCF0086.JPG

The landscaping crew still has a lot of work to do covering that blue foam and installing rocks, water, etc. (Model RR is sort of reverse of the prototype...you start with a nice flat plane which trains could really fly over and you build grades and stuff to slow them down and make operating more (??) interesting.)

Anyway thanks to Construction Consultant Railery and others for their help.

There's still a lot painting and detailing to be done but the trains are rolling.

Thanks for looking,

jwmurrayjr

Yes, the RGS is the "inspiration" but I'm afraid it's not going to be very prototypical: Standard HO, not narrow guage and I really don't know much about the mining and logging industries. But there is a lot to draw upon in these forums.

It'll be fun trying to make it look good and fun to run, I think.

Thanks,

Very nice, Jim. This looks like an excellent start to a very nice layout!

And welcome to the Gauge. There's a great bunch of folks here. And some of them are even sane. :D :D

jon-monon

:eek: :eek: :eek: WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: Love that tressle! How many years ya been doin' this stuff? :D :D :D I can sense loggin in your blood! You should enjoy the logging line if you haven't already!

Welcome aboard, Jim! What a great start you have there! I can't wait to see this one unfold ;)

Uteram

Not a problem. I do the same type of modeling. I call it "simulated narrow gauge". See my photos below for a look.

I've taken a stance that with a lack of RTR equipment in HOn3, I'd opt for an authentic look using small engines (shays, 2-6-0, 2-8-O, Heislers, etc) and keep rolling stock to a minimum of 40 feet, I should be able to capture the look of Colorado narrow gauge.

I've entertained the though of doing a diorama layout (2x6 or 2x8) on a sheet of plywood in HOn3, just to get a feel for it. Then I see what I still have to do with my current layout and I think I'll put that thought away for awhile.:D

jwmurrayjr

Thanks guys.

Uteram, where are those pictures? I'd like to see them.

I've been at this layout for about 8 mos, but have liked trains forever, I guess.

The trestle is the Heljan plastic kit. The instructions are really poor but the kit has a lot of potential for different kinds of trestles and it only cost $16 at the LTS. :)

Uteram

jwmurrayjr...

My photos are in my original posts on the board. I meant to look on the board. I justed posted a few this morning showing my progress.

jon-monon

You may want to read some of this thread, there are some nice links. Early on in my quest for narrow gauge, Stev, Lighthorseman, advised I consider HO standard with the look and feel of NG. Well, I went full circle. I wanted n3, then n30 then I planned a tripple gauge layout, HO main with HOn3 on one mountain, HOn30 on the other, and finally, after 6 months of searching, and rarely finding, I'm taking Steve's advice and following Shamus's lead. HO. I may still sneak in a little NG spurt going into a mine or such, but nothing major. I realize the modeling is what's important to me, not the track. Rock on.