progress on my layout

viperman

Tom, does details associates have their own website? I've found a few links, but nothing to an official site

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
all of those detaisl cost to. I was getting up toe $50-$70 in all the small details i could have added to my Conrail GP38-2. it gets crazy fast.

UP SD40-2

Steven, Walthers has ALL the stuff you need:thumb: . i get ALL my detailing parts from there. looks like you will need to add a couple decals to it too;) . note the warning stickers on the engine, that DOES NOT come on the model. :D -Deano

Hi Viperman,

Good question.. I've been looking for months and I have never found Detail Associates' website either. sign1

Walthers ships fast and their online catalogue is awesome too as Deano says.. Internet Trains is quite a bit cheaper than Walthers but sometimes they move real slow. I have an order I placed in June they haven't shipped yet. :curse: For ease of use I think I'll just swallow the somewhat higher prices and go Walthers in the future. I've also ordered DA and DW stuff from Discount Trains Online and they have been pretty fast, but their selection seems smaller.

Hope this helps!

viperman

So far, I'm a little over $21 for
- Brass Cab sunshades (Details Associates 101301) - Use brass sprue on sunshade as mounting posts, drill hole in cab and attach.
- MU Hoses (Details Associates 1508) - Goes on both front and rear pilots, 8 hoses per pilot.
- Grab Irons (Details Associates 2202) - Drill holes in pre-cast dimples w/ #79 drill
- Lift Rings (Details Associates 2206) - Drill holes in pre-cast dimples on roof w/ #79 drill
- (2) Coupler lift bars (Details Associates 2211) - goes on both front and rear pilots.
- Speed Recorder (Detail Associates 2807) - Goes on front truck on the fireman's side, on the lead axle journal.
- Plow (Details West 155) - goes on front pilot
- Firecracker antenna (Details West 157) - goes on cab roof

Where to find everything else?

UP SD40-2

Steven, some guys(like me sometimes) i have seen detail engines a little cheaper by doing things like this; got any thin styrene? make your own sun visors! got any thin round sprews from other kits? make your own firecracker antenna! got any thin stiff wire? make your own coupler cut bars! you can be resourceful, and make some of these parts your self:thumb: . just a thought:D -Deano

The 30-gauge insulated wire you can buy from your local Radio Shack. It is excellent for making the sandline hoses on the trucks. You can also use it to make an MU electrical cable for engines that has them.

Also, if you can't find brass wire near where you are, Detail Associates also has them available in various diameters... They got 0.010"-diameter, which is appropriate for airbrake line plumbing that goes on the trucks (and grab irons and coupler lift bars like Deano says if you want to bend your own).

Hope this helps.

viperman

I'm aware of the thought of scratch building, but I'm still fairly new to model trains (only been back in the hobby for about a year now), and still don't really know what a lot of these parts look like or do

fsm1000

viperman said:
I'm aware of the thought of scratch building, but I'm still fairly new to model trains (only been back in the hobby for about a year now), and still don't really know what a lot of these parts look like or do

That is why for some things I just say 'does it look like it?' [building, loco, tree etc] and if it does then it is good enough :D
For amything made of wood though I detail mostly because I enjoy it than because I think I need each board 'just so'.
Only detail if it is still fun or you can go nuts finding the right number of rivets :S
Anyhow, earlier Steve showed a picture of 60 foot passenger trains I spoke to you about. That was what I was trying to say by 'modified'.
They took 85 footers and simply modeled them shorter is all.
Also older passenger cars [like the ones shown] were shorter as well.
Hope that helps you out there :)

viperman

I'm thinking I may not detail it afterall. Would be fun to do one though.

fsm - I know about the older cars, like what Steve posted, and am considering getting me some, but not sure which road to go with, so I may go undecorated

Nazgul

From one Steve to another

Steven,
I'm so busy tryin' to get my layout built that I haven't even given any real thought to detailing, or painting undecorated loco or rolling stock. But the more I hear and see other more experienced modelers achieving fantastic results....it makes me want to do it. I would also like to try my hand at scratch building. If you feel that you would like to paint cars then you can delay deciding which RR to go with or freelancing one. But if not...some of those decisions (and others) will need to be made before getting too much further. I know you've talked to Galen about a track plan so you're probably thinking about all this already....in that case........
never mind!sign1

viperman

As you know, Galen has been busy lately, with the move. With that said, he has not had a chance to reply to my pm about a new trackplan as of yet. So in the meantime, the plan is forward progress on my current layout. Since I almost never get a chance to work on it at all, I do a lot of thinking about all those different variables you mentioned.

Nazgul

Steven
Since I almost never get a chance to work on it at all, I do a lot of thinking about all those different variables you mentioned.
There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to work on your layout and not being able to.......I feel your pain my friend:cry: :thumb:

viperman

I hate it. I only get to work on it on weekends, and thats only if I drive the hour up to my parents house. The "in-laws" won't let me have one here

viperman said:
I'm thinking I may not detail it afterall. Would be fun to do one though.

Just a thought... Why not buy the parts and put them away. That way when you get some unexpected free time or get the urge to do something about the engine, you can go ahead and do it. The hardest part is collecting all the necessary parts. After all the parts are on-hand, it's actually quite easy and fast.

I dressed up an Athearn blue-box Southern Pacific GP38-2 (it started out kind of bare like your GP40-2) and I can tell you it looked so much nicer after I was done with it:

IMG_0359.jpg

Canopus

That model is far too clean! Weather it!

Steven, before you go buying anything at Walthers, check out discounttrainsonline.com - I recommend this to everyone whenever Walthers is mentioned because they stock basically everything that walthers stock, FAR cheaper.