progress on my layout

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
They were made years ago actually. They were 'modified' in that they took an 85 foot car and simply shortened it to 65 feet is all. I suppose you could buy 85 foot cars and cut them, but myself I am not that good sooo. Or look on ebay or something, maybe someone is selling old cars.
Another option would be to use old style cars as they were shorter as well. Some as small as 50 feet. You could find them at Walthers I think. Not sure cause I don't buy from them. Anyhow, old time stuff is shorter.

Hope that helps.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
As testament to how much larger US railroad equipment is compared to English railways, 60 foot is considered a "long" passenger car here!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Vipe,
Any more thoughts on the subject of your layout.....Prision (you'd have a unique one that's for sure)!:thumb:
I have 60' passenger cars on 18" radii...looks good ( I would not go bigger).
Come on...share:D

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Haven't made any progress in the past couple weeks, as I haven't been up home to work on it. Wish I had more time for it though.

I have contacted Galen to work on a new trackplan. Even if I do come up with a new one, I still kinda like the idea of the prison. One thing I worry about with creating a new trackplan, is losing the one hill I created. I really like the progress I've made on this one, and it would be hard to incorporate it somewhere else. I would, however, like to start fresh with a foam base like you did, so I could carve below the tracks, rather than only going up from them.

Steve, care to post a pic here of the 60' passengers on the 18"s? I know I've seen at least one pic in your thread a while back, but posting one here would be really nice.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
vipe,
Your wish is my command:thumb:

18" curve
View attachment 30095

Same curve...lookin' down
View attachment 30096

20" curve
View attachment 30097

These are 60 footers...as you can see, they are pushing the limits of "good taste" on these curves. Couldn't see going any bigger. They look fine (to me) running around the track.
Can't wait till I can take the tape off the track and start running trains again!:D

Attachments

• Scenery 054 small.jpg
    Scenery 054 small.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Scenery 055 small.jpg
    Scenery 055 small.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 459
  • Scenery 056 small.jpg
    Scenery 056 small.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 453

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
This is the closest pic to the loco I have, that I can find. The loco I have is an Athearn GP40-2, road number 3043. Picture is a GP40, road number 3043. If I were to detail the GP40-2, would the same details be found on a GP40?
BN_3043.jpg.82476.jpg

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Continuation of my last post...

Or would I be better off detailing the GP40-2 to resemble this one, which has a close but no cigar road number? The loco in this pic is a BN GP40-2, road number 3040
BN_3040_at_Bagley.jpg.72685.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steven, the pics you posted, and the pics i have found are NOT GREAT to use for proto pics to see just how BN had there GP40-2's set up:( . i did notice the horn placement is different in one of the pics:thumb: . in my thread i have asked for help finding good GP40-2 BN pics so you have something to go by:thumb: . CAN ANYONE HELP OUT WITH THIS? ANY BN GP40-2 pics would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Somebody needed a photo of BN #3043? Found one..

I would add:

- Brass Cab sunshades (Details Associates 101301) - Use brass sprue on sunshade as mounting posts, drill hole in cab and attach.
- MU Hoses (Details Associates 1508) - Goes on both front and rear pilots, 8 hoses per pilot.
- Grab Irons (Details Associates 2202) - Drill holes in pre-cast dimples w/ #79 drill
- Lift Rings (Details Associates 2206) - Drill holes in pre-cast dimples on roof w/ #79 drill
- Coupler lift bars (Details Associates 2211) - goes on both front and rear pilots.
- Speed Recorder (Detail Associates 2807) - Goes on front truck on the fireman's side, on the lead axle journal.
- Curved grab iron behind last radiator fan (bend from .012" wire) - Drill holes in precast dimples
- Plow (Details West 155) - goes on front pilot
- Firecracker antenna (Details West 157) - goes on cab roof
- Plumbing - Use 30-gauge insulated wire to simulate sand lines on trucks, and bend airbrake lines out of .012" brass wire.

These are the basic details to make it look good at a distance. For close-up superdetailing you need to add things like the underframe bell, fuel tank plumbing, air filters, ditch lights, etc. etc. Even I don't have the patience for all that sometimes. :thumb:

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 3043 copy.JPG
    3043 copy.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 350

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Hey, you know the Athearn Geep 40 aint too bad looking. Is it one of the retooled RP molds or one of their later models?

As for pictures of the loco, the ones I can see on railpictures.net don't look like they'd offer much in the way of detailing information, since they're all head-on shots. The only thing I might suggest looking at is http://archive.trainpix.com/BN/ the bn archive. http://archive.trainpix.com/BN/EMDORIG/GP40-2/INDEX.HTM should give you some ideas.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Canopus said:
Hey, you know the Athearn Geep 40 aint too bad looking. Is it one of the retooled RP molds or one of their later models?

As for pictures of the loco, the ones I can see on railpictures.net don't look like they'd offer much in the way of detailing information, since they're all head-on shots. The only thing I might suggest looking at is http://archive.trainpix.com/BN/ the bn archive. http://archive.trainpix.com/BN/EMDORIG/GP40-2/INDEX.HTM should give you some ideas.

It was one of the last models that Irv did before he passed away. He did nice detailinor at least arrainged to have nice detailing done on his molds. The problem is that he didn't have narrow enough motors to do scale width hoods on his earlier models.