progress on my layout

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Nice bridge!!! and that is a good spot for it:thumb: :thumb:

It is coming together:thumb: :thumb: Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to some more pics and progress on this nice lil layout, well it is bigger than minesign1

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
That does look like a fine area for a bridge. What I did for my bridges or at leat for 3 out of 5 of them I cyt the rail on both ends of the bridge this way I was able to work on the scenery by just popping out the rail and bridge together and the cut you make with the razor saw should give you the perfect gap for the rail joiners.:wave:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I already have the rails set to where they will be on either side, and actually anchored down on one side. The 3 sections of bridge and the 2 piers are all put together, and I can take them up or put them back in with ease right now, when I move the track on one side. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to anchor the piers too

wdsrwg

Jan 29, 2006
Hill Country of Western Wisconsin
Viperman,
One word...STYROFOAM!
Is there anything you can't do with it?
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Half of my layout room is stacked with it and I want more!
:D :rolleyes: :D
I have made some nice rock outcroppings by stacking 2,3,4,
pieces and then forming with the electric wire cutter. A
little paint, chaulk and lechen here and there and it looks very
realistic.

Isn't modeling present day a pain when it comes to finding buildings
and such to model with!
hamr
Oh well, that just makes us be a little ore creative with such things as
~STYROFOAM~
goldtoth1
Your doing a great job and keep the pix coming!

Russell

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Here are a couple more update pics! Sorry to keep everyone waiting so long. Been feeling very stressed lately, and just haven't felt like updating the thread.
First pic is a close up of how my feeder wires look. Can anyone tell where they are?
mytrainset-43.jpg

Second pic is after laying down some drywall mud to get the shape of the land under the bridge segments
mytrainset-45.jpg

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
You know when I started doing my layout I just started stacking the foam board all over the place and my imagination just ran wild with possibilities, tunnels towns on hills bridges ...great stuff comes to life when we utilize the styro:wave:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Woohoo, I finally have the last lines drawn for where my yard will be placed! I did change the plan of the yard a little bit, but still kept to pretty much the original. Too late for pics tonight

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Steven...
The bridges look awesome together:thumb: and I think the excavating is coming along nicely:thumb: ...looking forward to more pics, when you can!
Foam is a beautiful thing!:D

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I won't be at home until probably Wed afternoon at the earliest. So no progress or pics til then :(

I am in on this group buy: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25583
I got the ok from my fiance, and yesterday she told me no more for now. I told her I do still need some track pieces here and there. She actually told me that's ok, she just doesn't want me making any more big purchases. She's coming around!

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok everyone, time for a much needed update, sorry no pictures (thanks to bad lighting, and no camera).

Today, I had a snow day at work, so I was able to get some time in on the layout. I decided to start the wiring on the loop. The yard will have seperate wiring, as I plan to have it on its own block. If I decide to change my mind later, it won't be hard for me to splice it in with the wiring for the loop.
Anyway, not only did I start the wiring, but also finished it! I now have the ability to run trains!!! Put my GP40-2 on the track and did a few test laps with no problems. Decided to put 3 40' boxcars behind it, still no problems. Decided to put a 40' hopper and a caboose on the back, and still not one problem!!!

I'm so happy! I will be picking up my camera batteries from my fiance tomorrow. I left them at her parents' house over the weekend, so hopefully some pics soon

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
viperman said:
Ok everyone, time for a much needed update, sorry no pictures (thanks to bad lighting, and no camera).

Today, I had a snow day at work, so I was able to get some time in on the layout. I decided to start the wiring on the loop. The yard will have seperate wiring, as I plan to have it on its own block. If I decide to change my mind later, it won't be hard for me to splice it in with the wiring for the loop.
Anyway, not only did I start the wiring, but also finished it! I now have the ability to run trains!!! Put my GP40-2 on the track and did a few test laps with no problems. Decided to put 3 40' boxcars behind it, still no problems. Decided to put a 40' hopper and a caboose on the back, and still not one problem!!!

I'm so happy! I will be picking up my camera batteries from my fiance tomorrow. I left them at her parents' house over the weekend, so hopefully some pics soon

Of course you realise that now you have the ability to run trains, your layout will stay the way it is forever! :thumb:

My suggestion is to get back to doing scenery before it's too late!

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
viperman said:
I officially need new batteries for my camera, darn things just won't hold a charge for long enough to even get one picture
I hear yu , I have 2 digital cameras one Nikon and a Canon, the Nikon takes 4 dbl A's and eats them up if the screen is on I ussually use it with a power cord its more for if I need a real good pic it cost me 1000 Can$ 7 yrs ago , the Canon which I purchased at a Cosco for 250 can$ has the rechargable power pack and takes decent pics and last for very long time... go figure ? :wave:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Last night I took a trip to a train store on my way home from work. Got the Walthers Clayton County Lumber building kit, but still need to get Walton & Sons Lumber Co (or something similar). Also picked up a couple more 40' boxcar kits, an Illinois Central and a Great Northern. I will be making a trip to the store in a couple hours to pick up a new pair of batteries for my camera, so I will finally be able to take pics again! Expect some updated pics soon

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok folks here goes! I finally have two new pictures to show yall of the recent progress. First shot shows an overall view, second shot shows the mock-up of the planned yard. The track to the far right in the yard will be home to an engine house/shop.
mytrainset-46.jpg

mytrainset-47.jpg