progress on my layout

wickman

Nice to see some risers being put down Steve, I've used wood screws to hold them in place while the adhesive dried , just used the drill to screw them right through the styro and actually think I left some in. Just a bit of an idea Steve , for myself I working on this second layout I found it better to cover the riser tops over the gaps with plaster cloth or something along that line so that the scenery wouln't fall thru. I did this right over my roadbed or was it under it geez can't remember now but it sure helped in the long run, just a thought of course. :wave:

UP SD40-2

Steven:wave:, WOW!!:eek: I just seen your progress pics:thumb:. REAL GLAD you posted them, looks like you are off to a GREAT start!!!:D keep posting the pics, cant wait to see some more progress;):D. THANKS!!:D -Deano

viperman

I won't be home to work on the layout until Tue after work. But right now its as you see in the pictures, but with a second section of roadbed in place. Pretty soon I'm going to need to figure out what I'm doing with the slope under the bridge, and get that scene started, so I can keep on going with the roadbed

viperman

Ok, quick update:

Had a chance to work on the layout tonight! I was able to draw the line for the roadbed all the way around the loop, but did not for the sidings or yard yet. There was one section of track that was not conforming to the original plan, and I was able to fix that problem. Tomorrow I need to get myself a somewhat long (3" or so) thin drill bit, so I can start feeding the feeder wires to the track. I also have another section of roadbed started (one half is setting right now)

holdenburg

Lifelike pickier??

viperman said:
Modeling modern times. Probably won't look like it with the loco's I would be running. My one GOOD engine is an Athearn BN GP40-2. The UP engines in the pics are both from older train sets, and have the black bulky horn couplers, not kadee's. They are both MUCH pickier about how clean the tracks are, and neither runs anywhere as nice as the Athearn. Gotta love Life-Like.
It is wired up for DC right now, but if I actually had money to spend, I'd probably look into DCC. I'm not too worried about that at this time.

I couldn't help but notice this. If you can help me out. I am just starting back into N Gauge. Are the Lifelike pickier?? I bought one CNW E8.

Thx... :wave:

Herb

holdenburg

Dallas is where on the NET??

Jeffs_Railroad said:
YmeBP, I do told the Dallas Company what I needed and they supplied it. Wish I had your talent.

Jeffs...
I had to comment on this as I am starting to build out a layout and am researching DCC and DC... So far I have the itch for DCC but keep seeing small "gotchas" here and there.
Can you comment further on Dallas or did you already on this thread??

Thx...

Herb :wave:

viperman

holdenburg said:
I couldn't help but notice this. If you can help me out. I am just starting back into N Gauge. Are the Lifelike pickier?? I bought one CNW E8.

Thx... :wave:

Herb
The Life-Like loco's I have are a bit older, pobably no newer/younger than 10yrs. They've probably improved over the years. Only one sure way to find out though

viperman

Got to work on the layout last night, and have two pair of feeder wires from the track to under the benchwork. You actually can't even tell they're there if you look right at them, the way I did it. I'll post a pic in a little bit (still havent taken one yet) of the first pair I installed.

viperman

Ok, well, I finally figured out wat I'm doing with the bridge, and under it. As soon as my batteries are done charging, I'll take a picture of those feeders, and a shot or two of the bridge area

viperman

Should I do the scenery work under the bridge before installing it, or should I finish all the trackwork before doing any scenery? I know there is no proper way to do it. I'm just wondering how easy/hard it would be for me to add all the scenery details under the bridge, once its set in place

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
because you'd have to reach under the bridge, i think you should do the scenery underneath before installing the bridge, unless of course installing the bridge would ruin the scenery below.

I've done two ways...integrating the construction of bridge and scenery as well as just laying track and installing the bridge later with scenery following that. The latter method is my plan for my forthcoming 'new' layout using the eztrack. But I'd say at least install the bridge footings and abutments (including shoes!) when you lay the track leaving plenty of clearance cut out below. At least have a general scenic plan in mind...draw out the stream, banks, outcroppings - if any, etc. and live with it first then cut later. Another approach is to only tack down the bridge temporarily until the rest of the layout or at least the tracks on the other side are laid in place so that the bridge can be removed when you're ready to do some scenery.

Galen

viperman

I already have the banks and the river set in foam. I have an idea how the scenery is going to look in the area too. I have the track set in place on one side of the bridge already, but don't want to set the other side in place quite yet, since I may need the flexibility to put the track and bridge in place

I already have the banks and the river set in foam. I have an idea how the scenery is going to look in the area too. I have the track set in place on one side of the bridge already, but don't want to set the other side in place quite yet, since I may need the flexibility to put the track and bridge in place

Sounds like you've got a good plan! Where are the pictures!!!

Galen

viperman

ocalicreek said:
Where are the pictures!!!

Galen
Right here!
mytrainset-39.jpg

mytrainset-40.jpg

mytrainset-41.jpg

mytrainset-42.jpg