progress on my layout

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Steven
YES!!!!!.........Great to see it happening!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I really like the girder-truss-girder "sandwich"...that is going to look awesome. As I have said before: I really like this track plan...It gives you the a lot in the space available without being over crowded:thumb: :thumb:......keep posting!!! and keep up the great work!!

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I'm just wondering what I'm going to do with that inside track though. Do I elevate it like the outer track, or keep it as is? Another thing I'm trying to come up with is what to do under the bridge. I plan on having the river/stream only under the truss, and have land under the girders, but not sure exactly how I'm going to do this.

Thank you for the compliments though guys! Makes me feel better!

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I'd do a Google or Yahoo image search for bridges, marshes, streams, etc. Could find some good inspiration.

As for the inside track, perhaps a gentle elevation would be nice, but really I think it's personal taste. Just consider the parts that should be level for the log flats.

Looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Galen

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steven, I just followed the discussion on your layout to this point without participating because I would not have been of any help. But now it’s really getting interesting. It is exciting to watch a layout develop right from the start. I like this track plan. I am looking forward to see the scenery grow around the track :wave: .

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok, well, I just put one piece of cork roadbed down, and have that setting in place now. Thing is, I just now realized that I never did any plaster work around it! Oh well. Guess I'll just have to work around it in this spot. Anyone else do that?

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Steve, you did that too? Well, at least I'm not the only one. Seeing as how well your layout is progressing, maybe I will just keep up with the roadbed all around, then go and add scenery. If anything goes wrong, I'll blame you ;)

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok, here are a couple pictures of the first section of roadbed installed! I'm excited!
mytrainset-37.jpg

mytrainset-36.jpg

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Uhh...seems to me the typical pattern is to lay track before working on any scenery.

Of course, really, what fun would that be if everybody did it that way? John Allen actually brought some areas to scenic completion...ground cover, etc. on the G&D before laying track. Even the roadbed looked like the earth had been graded and readied for a little HO track crew to show up on a work train and start pounding spikes.

Galen

Quinn222

Nov 17, 2006
Florida
ocalicreek said:
Even the roadbed looked like the earth had been graded and readied for a little HO track crew to show up on a work train and start pounding spikes.
Galen

That would actually make a neat little scene on a MR.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
That would make an awesome scene!

So, I guess this is the right way to do it! Something told me it was to start off with, then I started thinking (never a good thing ;) )

Quinn222

Nov 17, 2006
Florida
viperman said:
Quinn, do you have a yard in your plan? That may be a good spot, make it look like they're adding on to it

I do have a yard! I also have a bench that is about 28 feet long but I can only use 16 feet of it. The layout makes a 90 degree benchwork turn at 16 feet but the bench actually continues on. We need it for storage so I can't use all of it. It might be funny to have my crew headed in that direction, as though they were going to take over the rest of the bench.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I've noticed in your pictures that you are using various items to hold your cork in place as the adherent drys. I have always stuck track nails or thumb tacks through the cork just enough into the foam/plywood to hold it in place until the glue drys at which point I carefully remove them. I say carefully because if you just yank'em out, invariably you will pull some of your newly installed cork up as well. Been there done that. By using the track nails (or thumb tacks), you can use lots of them and re-use them later AND, you can lay as much cork at one time as you have nails to do so drastically speeding up installation time. Looking good so far! Also, previously you were asking about the correct order of construction of a layout. I don't think there is any one standard practice but if you click on any of the links in my signature (with the exception of the father/son layout), you can see how I constructed mine - track first, then scenery.
P.S. Also, I have found that sometimes when laying cork on tighter radii without temporarily nailing it down, sometimes the cork will bow unexpectedly (usually after you walk away for the night) and give you some nasty bumps to fix before laying the track.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
TN, thanks for the input! I used the stuff this way to hold the cork in place, since I know that any holes in the foam base won't show through in the end, they'll all be covered up somehow