progress on my layout

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok, so in that pic you linked to, that scene looks easy enough to model. Wouldn't be hard to come by extra rails like that. After looking at that pic, it seems I sould elevate the outer track a lil bit, to give a slope for the logs to roll off the flats. I have one 40' flat car w/stakes (Athearn BB). I could use something like that, but maybe use the stakes on the outer edge, and chains to hold the logs in place until they are meant to be dumped.

For the bridge, I'll post up a pic later tonight, when I get back from dinner (dad's b-day today).

I'd like to see the changes you have in mind for the yard area.

As for the woodchip hoppers, I will see if I can find any pics of them on the net, so I have an idea of what I'd be trying to model

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
It'd also be easy enough to cut out the foam where the log pond is going to be. Just a little bit of planning will go a long way to a very pleasing result and an eye catching scene. I'll try and get the yard changes up soon...no promises on tonight, as I got a fair piece of inspiration regarding my own planning.

You'd probably also want to have the log puller and mill structure built or at least mocked up whenever you transfer the track plan out on the foam.

Galen

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Here is that 4' long bridge I have. It also has suspension cables, but I was simply too lazy to put them on just for this pic.
mytrains-8.jpg

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
ocalicreek said:
It'd also be easy enough to cut out the foam where the log pond is going to be. Just a little bit of planning will go a long way to a very pleasing result and an eye catching scene. I'll try and get the yard changes up soon...no promises on tonight, as I got a fair piece of inspiration regarding my own planning.

You'd probably also want to have the log puller and mill structure built or at least mocked up whenever you transfer the track plan out on the foam.

Galen
I do plan to cut down into the foam for the log pond. Just thought maybe it'd be a good idea to elevate the outside rail of the dump track, to give it that "gravity helps" look to it. Guess I better also start looking for a mill and log dump too now, eh?

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
The 'Mountain Lumber' is the one I was thinking of, because it's a bit more 'modern' looking than say, the FSM or BTS McCabe series. IN fact, I'd take a few steps to maybe modernize it with perhaps a concrete foundation, some high mercury light towers to illuminate the lumber yard and areas where forklifts might scurry around at night, for 24-hour operation.

As for the bridge, well, personally it's a little too European for my taste (in this setting) but maybe you could cut off the arches (keeping the piers) and put the fancy railing in your kitbashing scrap box (you do have one started, right?) and replace the railing with girders. Also, perhaps use deck plate girders for the outer sections and a through plate girder or through truss for the center section. It'd reduce the length down to 3' overall, but that wouldn't compromise the bridge's location on the layout any. It could be a really fun kitbash!

Galen

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
YES, that's a pretty good example of what I was thinking of...although a little lower and over a much narrower river/stream leading into the log pond. A suspension bridge over a stream/marshy area on a logging shortline seems a bit like overkill...but it's still up to whatever looks right to you.

Okay. Here's the revised plan.

View attachment 32204

The most obvious change is the addition of the "Interchange/Sneak Back Track". I'd also consider it a switching lead for the yard. I also added another yard track just to beef up capacity, or use it for MOW equipment. The left side of the layout has remained unchanged. Also, I think a few trees can disguise that turnout in the upper left corner, and I'd put an interlocking tower at the 90 deg. crossing.

Now we can talk two-train operation. Train A makes laps on the loop/figure 8 while train B works the yard. When it's time to switch roles, Train A moves into the Interchange and waits, while the Train B departs onto the loop using the crossover. Once it is clear, Train A can move into the yard and break down its train.

Cars can be staged there at the beginning of an op session...empty bulkhead flats, woodchip hoppers and boxcars as well as loaded log cars. The engine can pull them down into the yard, run around, and make up a train before heading out to the Mill. A second engine can make a second train and be ready to go when the first returns. Cars from the first train can be shoved up onto the interchange track when ready, since capacity in the yard is limited.

If there were some way to put a passing track someplace near the yard but not in it, your yard capacity would more than double. But I'm not sure the layout itself could handle it, that is, the Mill wouldn't have enough room for all those cars anyway. So that's why I didn't consider that option, really. But I think I could make it work, if you were interested in that. I get the sense, however, that operation is nice but less important than just watching them run.

Okay...whaddya think?

Galen

Attachments

• viperman2.5.JPG
    viperman2.5.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 214

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
That's enough of a yard for me, no need for another passing track.

You are correct when saying I am mostly interested in the scenery. I am big on scenery, and would like to see my trains running through it. Operation is nice, but not my top priority. With that said, I do like the plan this way.

A suspension bridge would be a bit overkill for the entrance to a logging pond. I do like the idea of the girder/tressle/girder idea, but as you said, not as long as Wayne's is. It is a cool design, and would fit well in the backcountry type setting.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok, just this weekend I started to lay track down on top of the foam, to see how I want to route the tracks. Not quite turning out the same as Galen drew up, but pretty close. I should be able to upload a picture later tonight for yall to view my progress. I still need to go and get the lumber mill buildings, so I can get a better feel for where everythng will go

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steven:wave:, i cant wait to see a progress pic!:D been a while since you've posted, GLAD to read you have been making progress!:thumb: :D :D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Yeah, like has gotten in the way, but I do hope to be making some progress soon. I went to go take a pic as it sits now, to find the batteries in the camera need a charging. So those will charge overnight, and tomorrow I can snap and post a pic

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
That could be part of the misalignment, since I didn't really sketch the plan with sectional track in mind. But see what you can do and PM me if you have any location specific questions about the plan. BTW, which plan did you decide to go with, 2 or 2.5?

Also, some turnouts may need to be trimmed. How are you with a Xuron?

Yeah, I know what you mean about life getting in the way. I had hoped to make more progress tonight, but I just had to spend some time with my son watching the Polar Express, his new favorite movie. Oh well. Could be worse!

Galen