Progress (Lack Thereof?) On The Megill River System...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lighthorseman, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

One thing I really, really enjoy is watching the progress of projects. Whether entire layouts, a structure or piece of rolling stock, I like following along with the author as he or she progresses. Kind of like popping in to a friends house to see the latest work. :)

Well, my friends, come on down into MY basement. ;) Here is the room I am building in. I cannot actually get the whole thing in the picture, but it is 15 feet by 20.

Attached Files:

2. Lighthorseman

A Basic Plan...

I haven't even fleshed out anything concrete, other than the first section I'm building, which is the locomotive servicing area, at the end of the line. I have not even completed a trackplan, but have included a rough idea of what the overall layout will eventually look like dimensionally.

The layout will be 30 inches deep, other than the balloons, which are to be 56 inches at their widest. This allows for a 24 inch radius for the track, as well as 3 inches clearance on all sides. When I have had a chance to improve on the trackplan, I'll post it again. Here is the first, really sad one.

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Looks like a great place to start, Steve!
    Can't wait to follow along! :cool:
    Is this going to be O scale?
  4. Lighthorseman

Benchwork Starts...

Yes, this will be O scale. On30, to be precise. Here, I have framed up the first section with 1 by 4 pine.

Attached Files:

5. Lighthorseman

Next came the legs, braced and cross-braced. The layout height at this section will be about 47 inches above the floor.

Attached Files:

6. Lighthorseman

Next, I cut, placed and glued down the 2 inch blue foam thet will be the base. Thank goodness for those Clancy and King hardcovers! :D
  7. Lighthorseman

...Heh...

Picture would help, I s'pose. :sleeping:

Attached Files:

8. narrowsteam

narrowsteam Guest

Looking good!

Looks like you have a great room to build your layout in, nice solid bench work too.

That blue DOW foam has really revolutionized model railroading. Supportive material yet easy to work with. You can cut it with a knife, and work it by hand.....want to change an area later....simply cut out the old area add a new piece of foam.....build and detail diorama areas on your work-bench and add the finished scene to your layout...
  9. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Steve,
    Looks real good so far, can't wait to see some trains running out there.

Narrowsteam,
    welcome aboard the gauge! Like the avatar,, how about a few more pics of your work?
    Pete
  10. narrowsteam

narrowsteam Guest

Thanks for the welcome...

I have been rather dormant in the model trains department lately....Here is a picture of my ore reductions works..I recently moved my HO/HOn3 modular layout out to the garage and straightened a corner section....wish I had a basement.... have been model railroad modeling for about 7-8 years...

I also model in 7/8n2 scale 2 feet on gauge 1 track...the small avatar photo is of my 7/8th Faulk in the back yard....

Cheers

Attached Files:

• mill.jpg
      mill.jpg
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:
  11. narrowsteam

narrowsteam Guest

Pete, here is a larger shot of the Faulk...
    Cheers....

Attached Files:

12. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Steve looks like you are off to a great start, flawless looking benchwork! :cool: Narrowsteam welcome, great pics and modeling :thumb: !
  13. narrowsteam

narrowsteam Guest

Tyson thanks for the welcome, ..

Steve, can't wait to see more pictures on your layout progress as time goes on....

I almost thought about getting into On30 when Bachmann came out with the shay models..( I was totally sold into the idea, when I came back to reality) I figured I am in enough spouseal model railroading trouble already....
  14. Lighthorseman

Then...

I laid the basic trackplan out onto the foam and marked centrelines. Once I'd assured myself that the curves and clearances were satisfactory, I painted over the track centrelines with flat tan latex paint. The raw ties were glued on top of the still-visible centrelines with yellow carpenter's glue. Here's what I ended up with.

Attached Files:

15. Lighthorseman

It didn't take too long before I had all the ties for the track that loops behind the future enginehouse laid. At that point, I simply could not resist putting a train on the ties...

Attached Files:

16. Lighthorseman

I then ran the ties the other way toward the future water, sand, and coal towers...

Attached Files:

17. Lighthorseman

...And here is a water tower mockup, using a Lionel tower, minus the brick building. Here, I'm mostly trying to get the right height for the smaller narrow gauge equipment.

Attached Files:

18. Lighthorseman

Here's my first CHALLENGE! Look at the picture, anf you'll see a regular code 83 HO turnout. It had to be On30-ised to flow with the rest of the track. :eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

19. Lighthorseman

I took it apart tie-by-tie and replaced the plastic HO ones with wood O scale ties, spiked in place. Here's what I ended up with.

Attached Files:

20. Lighthorseman

Another look...I was pretty happy about how this turned out. It looks as though I'll be able to use up the plethora of existing HO code 83 track components on hand.

Attached Files: