Programming/Regular Track Switch Safety

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Note: Never Mind... I found it - I was remembering something on another forum I visit... Leaving the original below in case anyone cares...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I could sworn I saw a discussion of this here, but sure can't find it.

I'd like to use one track in my staging yard as the programming track. Easy enough to set it up with a toggle for Regular ops from the bus on one side, Programming from the prog. terminals on the other. Set it as "regular," run the loco onto it, flip to "program," program away, set back to "reguler" and run the loco off. Completely minimizes handling of the loco (which for me with lots of highly detailed locos and fat stubby fingers is a good thing).

But, I recall that if you inadvertently run a loco across the gaps from the always-regular section to the programming section while it's set as 'programming,' you can cause some serious harm to the system...

Now the point: I really do recall seeing instructions on a "safe" way to set this up. There was a short "third" section gapped between the "regular" track and the switchable "prog/regular" track, that prevented the problem.. But also still allowed run-on, run-off operation. I just can't for the life of me figure out how that would be done or find the posting...

Lil' help?

Thanks,

Kris

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Kris,

Now that you have found it, can you share - post a link or something? I think this is something that many of us would consider having on the layout... I know I am.

Thanks.

Andrew