Problems with Con-Cor HO Zephyr

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
Anyone purchase one of those Con-Cor HO Zephyr's ?? I just did.. and I'm having issues with it after installing DCC decoder..

I just got my Zephyr the other day.. and ran it on my DCC layout just fine (in DC mode), I just installed a Digitrax DZ143PS decoder in it, rated at 1.25Amps, 2 Amp Peak and .05 AMP for 4 FX3 functions. It stutters on my track at places (didn't do it when I ran it DC) non of my other engines do this.. Also, the Head Lights and the FRED only come on when the train is running in reverse.. Almost as if the Lamp wires where reversed on the plug.. Also, the Front Head light doesn't stay steady lite Much like one would expect to find on a normal DC layout.. It also flickers. The FRED and lights on the back do not do this and stay a steady lite. I ended up changing the normal direction of travel and switched the postive and negative on the motors to fix the directional light issue,but I'm still having the stutters and dim and flicking main head light (which is a LED)

Thanks, Connor

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm a novice with dcc. You might get a better response if you copy this post to the dcc forum. You might also contact Loys Toys or Digitrax with a description of the problem. Their tech support may be able to help.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Like Russ, I'm not into DCC, but if you don't get any response here, I can move this thread to DCC if you think you'd get a better response there.. If start a new thread like this in DCC it could get confusing, (we call it "cross posting"), so I'd rather move this one if you want.

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
I've talked with both Digitrax and Con-Cor, something IS strange.. Digitrax noticed some stuff with it.. I'm still waiting for another response from them.. Con-Cor said that I can ship it back and they'll look at it and fix if needed. I was hoping to find someone else who had put a decoder in one...

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
I would recommend you get the decoder checked to isolate whether the problem lies in the decoder or the loco. Hopefully you know of someone that has one of those nifty decoder testers. If you lived nearby I could refer you to one of two people in my club that has a tester.

As for that headlight. Are you sure its not set to Gyralite or Mars light in the decoder settings somehow?