Problems with Athearn CN Coaches

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks, Les, David and Jim.

I'll try removing the center set of wheels to see if that helps. I've actually thought about that, i.e. of simply removing it permanently & running it that way! I don't think you could tell if it was missing when it's running. I'll still test it though.

I'll also check the gauge of the Hornby curved switch. I might have to replace it, but I'm not too keen about this since it's already ballasted in. I'll also check to see if one of the truck mounting screws is too tight.

Thanks again. Rob

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Russ Bellinis said:
Let us know what you find.

I just had the baggage car checked out at a LHS whose owner is especially good at troubleshooting problems. As far as he could tell, the coach is in excellent condition. I may need to lightly file the inside of the trucks to ensure that there isn't any rubbing causing the derailments. Otherwise, the gauge and the alignment were "spot on". We also tested it on a sheet of glass.

So, maybe I'll have to replace that curved Hornby switch (that's one of the derailment places) with a Peco one. It seems more likely that it's the layout that's at fault & not the coach. :-(

Rob

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good news -- more or less! Last night, I repositioned a piece of curved track where the CN baggage car in particular liked to derail. That practically ended the problem (it did derail only twice there, but that was rare as I ran the train for close to an hour in total).

So ... it seems that my track was really at fault and not the coaches, although it's still true that these 2 coaches are the most prone to derailments when other pieces of rolling stock run well. I've also weighted the baggage car down and I think that is helping a lot.

Thanks for all of your feedback and advice though!

Rob

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MasonJar said:
Good news! BTW, who is your "local" train shop in TO?

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew! The two that I use are Railview Trains (very near to my office) and Hornet Hobbies which is close to my home. Both are excellent (I responded to the "LHS" thread here). Railview is more for the very serious modeller and Hornet is into other hobbies as well. Staff at both are friendly and have helped me out a lot. With one near work, and one near home, they're almost too convenient!

Cheers, Rob