Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That is cool!! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Can you post links? I want that Galileo!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Thank You. Feel free to post links in this thread for these guys, they are friends of Zealot. Make sure to promote their name. This thread is it a "Sticky" after all. . :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I tried blowing up rawens enterprise to the biggest I could for a 18'' long model. unfortunately, there are a lot of things that are magnified and make it a hard build. I think that if I were to do it again, I would print the saucer top and bottom on label stock and then adhere onto cardboard or chipstock. regular cardstock is just to flimsy. im also thinking that rubber cementing foil on the inside to block light is good, ventilate fumes, and then just poke thru the windows with a small blade screw driver. as soon as I make anything that looks good I will post pics. also just for a note, that poster foam board, once washed in a hot shower becomes flexible foam like a wetsuit. so you got a sheet that is flexy. I think it could make a large Pilsworth spindrift. and combined with leaving some parts stiff, you could make a 1/350 enterprise. or a large Jupiter 2.

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
ok. I resized the 50th by Rawen. he said its ok to fiddle with this stuff , and I think that is very generous of him to do so. so now this is almost the size of the polar lights kit. I will post it in my resources to avoid confusion of what is his original 50th release. the nacelles are about as wide as a nickel at the bussard collector domes. you can put 3 ecandle flickering leds in each one with either a plastic diamond as I will show later, or simple compartments to simulate chasing leds. the large resize it working out as of yet but I think this 2x size I will post in resources will be the ideal. also I resized the shuttle and will post them together. the original sized 5oth release along with gary pilsworth's space station K7 would make a nice trouble with tribbles diorama.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I tried blowing up rawens enterprise to the biggest I could for a 18'' long model. unfortunately, there are a lot of things that are magnified and make it a hard build. I think that if I were to do it again, I would print the saucer top and bottom on label stock and then adhere onto cardboard or chipstock. regular cardstock is just to flimsy. im also thinking that rubber cementing foil on the inside to block light is good, ventilate fumes, and then just poke thru the windows with a small blade screw driver. as soon as I make anything that looks good I will post pics. also just for a note, that poster foam board, once washed in a hot shower becomes flexible foam like a wetsuit. so you got a sheet that is flexy. I think it could make a large Pilsworth spindrift. and combined with leaving some parts stiff, you could make a 1/350 enterprise. or a large Jupiter 2.

Looking forward to seeing this!

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I know you cant wait forever, to avoid pirates coming here, despite the detectable parrot and accents, I have changed the appearance of the pages and included some mego tos transporter stuff I found in google search online that are interesting. the silhouettes are from the episodes, reunion and best of both worlds of unusual non-standard ships in Starfleet. as soon as the resources are straightened out, I will post the enlargements of the Rawen 50th 1701 and Galileo and build pics and lighting effects.
rawen 50th 1701 2x ax.png rawen 50th 1701 2x bx.png rawen 50th 1701 2x cx.png rawens resize galileo 7x.png star.trek.diorama.via.papermau.001_zpsmcg4plpcx.jpg star_trek_transporter_console_by_lord_liney-d9bbjctx.jpg wolf 359 ships 1+2x.png

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Well, there will be a post today, starting a thread. It will be a repository of the models. You upload them to the thread, but change the file extensions and name, P.M. Rhaven or myself with the URL and the real name of the file)s), and that will give us time till the Resource Center is reestablished (Uploading feature). The damage to the servers was horrid, and I am not at liberty to say how many forums aren't even operating, so in light of that, we are doing pretty darn good. :mooner:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I know you cant wait forever, to avoid pirates coming here, despite the detectable parrot and accents, I have changed the appearance of the pages and included some mego tos transporter stuff I found in google search online that are interesting. the silhouettes are from the episodes, reunion and best of both worlds of unusual non-standard ships in Starfleet. as soon as the resources are straightened out, I will post the enlargements of the Rawen 50th 1701 and Galileo and build pics and lighting effects.
View attachment 155300 View attachment 155301 View attachment 155302 View attachment 155303 View attachment 155304 View attachment 155305 View attachment 155306

Man, this all looks fantastic. You could send it to my home. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Looking forward to seeing this!

This is where modeling in CAD comes in as a preferable method, because that model should have a network of internal bracing to prevent future distortion, and it iss very easy to do with CAD, a pain in the butt to go back and put in. 110 lb.cardstock would then be more than sufficient. IMHO.

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
there is a packing foam that is black or grey, is very spongy. it compresses well and is molded into support by the model itself, but pushes out for years. I am thinking of doing that with any large models [[[ vector stargazer]]]]] and see what happens. the recent findings I have made is that the ideal size for a standard card stock model [such as those colored reams at staples. I believe its around 60 lb.] is about 18 inches long maximum. making a duplicate bw page, trimming it undersize slightly is really good support for anything 18''-20'', and then for the really big stuff cardboard supports made just for that particular model, foam board or actual sponge material. if you are going with a 4 footer or bigger, you will want plastic jars or cans, balloons-believe it or not, Styrofoam pillars, forms etc, or wood supports cut to shape
light leaks are the main problem, if you are avoiding paint, black rubber weather foam works good.
I will send those now Zath!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I believe in paper cubes, with thick amounts of glue to stabilize the structure. Once you make one, you can ring that area. I would recommend 110 lb. card stock. ;)

Reactions: spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
wow! it got thru!!
well here is my start on the rombop from rawens 50th anniversary set

GEDC2403.JPG

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That looks great. I have the Hallmark Christmas Ornament of that ship, it lights up too. I have that whole collection, I'm told they are worth something. ;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I thought the little red rectangle under them middle center is the impulse? I need batteries for my camera or I would post some pics on it

No, that was an access hatch, I believe, which Spock used to make repairs in Metamorphosis. It opened and dropped down. Next to the hatch was a red reactor flush vent, as I recall the original AMT design plans. There were a series of vent-like strips along the starboard bottom but I can't recall any labeling for them. The nacelles that hung off the pylons were for warp and the impulse engines were across the top of the aft hull and lit up during the original run of the show. I don't recall the bustards on the warp nacelles ever lit up in the original broadcast and don't believe that the AMT filming model had lighting there; only on the aft impulse engines.

Just for interests sake, the same design was copied for use in the executive shuttle, used in STVI, I think it was, and then those were engines again for the Sydney class in the Next Gen, which was a modification of the executive shuttle, scaled up.

Paragon made some great models of these two later designs.

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
i also have the rombop ornament. its pretty cool!
the shuttle is one of the most copied designs I have seen. Gene and Matt really changed scifi forever! here is the fully assembled Rawen rombop, his enterprise 1701 is next!GEDC2408.png

Last edited:

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
man, the camera magnifies every little flaw, look at that paper clip warble!!!!
well, im thinking for the enterprise I might light it up with ecandle leds. maybe 3 each tube. im not really sure, I probably will just fake it somehow. I had to make an fin for the Rrombop up there, for some reason that is the hardest part of any bird of prey model... that durn fin just never sets right. someone made one that was just a big flat thing that dut into the top hull and that seemed to work well. I might change this Rrombop to purple instead of green gray and try to draw the chrome on both ends of the tubes some how. I enhanced the screen grab on this episode and found that the globes are green/blue, no color on the ports tho, there is a pic of them lit up but I can only guess. I would go with green globes and yellow or amber portholes, as it matches the amber bird, and makes it look halloweeny looking. the fin is labelled ''cloaking fin'' in some instructions so, in my humble opinion, it should have a chrome strip running down the top edge of it. and all black one would be a good cloaked version in some diorama. hint hint
romulan green blue original.png Romulan_Bird_of_Prey_model.jpg