Printing on Wood with an Inkjet Printer

F

Fred_M

Print on wood with your inkjet? Sounds crazy, but I did it. I’ll show you how. Get a sheet of 1/64 Birch Plywood and trim it so that it’s 8 ½ inches wide. It will then feed fine into my HP 692c printer, so it should work on most brands. The grain goes perpendicular to the feed roll so that the wood can wrap around the roller. I then used my greeting card software to make a sign. The image needs rotated 90 degrees so it lines up correctly with the grain in the wood. Test on paper first to save money on wood. I then made a nice fence from my test image.

fence1.jpg

fence2.jpg

fence3.jpg

fence4.jpg

fence5.jpg

fence6.jpg

fence7.jpg

F

Fred_M

What about white signs you may ask. I print them on paper and trim it to make a mask. I then spray the wood with flat white spray paint and allow it to dry. I then print and allow extra time for the ink to dry. Here’s the first white backed sign on wood. Next one I would mask with tape, but it’s proof of concept.

sign1.jpg

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
One heck of a job there Fred. Great looking fence and signs. I would'nt of had the nerve to put wood thru my printer but you proved it possible. Great job'

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

F

Fred_M

The 1/64 wood is more flexible than some of the cardstock I print on, so I wasn't really worried about the printer. Those old HPs are cheap in the used computer stores anyway. I sell them for $10 without ink as it's the ink that is costly. Charles H, styrene brick eh? I accept your challange. brb...

brick.jpg

Printed on Plastistruct plastic brick sheet using the white paint method. :D Fred

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That's fantastic Fred - great idea!!!! I'm going to have to try it with the brick sheet. And an added bonus is that the "paint" looks like it's already faded and weathered! Tooo Cool!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Val

F

Fred_M

So even though I have like 10 projects in various states of completion (not counting the never to be done layout) I jumped ahead tonight and started another. I printer the sign filler for a storefront to go on the river of my new layout. The fish I got at Hobby Lobby for a buck US. Thought that was a heck of a deal. Them Chineese painter sure do good painting for their part of a buck is all I can say. I wouldn't spay it white for what they make. Fred

Attachments

• robins.jpg
    robins.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 188

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:thumb: :wave: Hi Fred. Great idea and it looks great but I have one question, I tried it on a sheet of plain styrene OK, but the ink never seemed to dry. I used the photo setting for the printer which is the best. Did I use the wrong setting or did I not give the thing enough time to dry? It looked great though!!! If it would work for me I don't think I would ever paint another scratch build. Hehehe :eek: :eek: Jim

F

Fred_M

I printed on a flat white paint patch on the styrene. You are right, it will not dry and/or stick to bare styrene, the white paint gives it something to bite into. You might try spraying it with dullcoat first before printing if you don't wish a white backing. Fred

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
inkjet printing

dash10 said:
You are right, it will not dry and/or stick to bare styrene. Fred
I have successfully used a copy machine to print on unpainted white styrene but that was just black.

I'm especially intreagued by this technique as I want to do a barn with an aged Mail Pouch ad painted on and I think this may be the way to go. :thumb: