Printer Settings

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by possm_23, Feb 24, 2006.

1. possm_23

possm_23 Member

My printer has "fit to printer margins" and " reduce to printer margines"....which one is correct....im kinda slow...so dont type fast...lol:twisted:
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

I have margins removed and fit to paper size, all seems fine to me. Its an Epson C84 btw
    typed at 2 words per 30 seconds :)
  3. rowiac

rowiac Member

possm,

I assume you're talking about the print settings in Adobe Reader.

In Page Scaling, "Fit to Printer Margins" will scale the image up or down so that it fills whatever size sheet your are using. "Reduce to Printer Margins" will only scale down the image to fit the sheet. Images smaller than the sheet will stay at their original size.

I try to use the "None" option on Page Scaling to maintain full scale when I print whenever I can, but it's not always possible. For example, on European A4-size PDF files printed on US Letter paper, Adobe Reader will scale down to 91% to fit the shorter letter paper, and that will work with either of the page scaling options you mentioned.

Roger
  4. possm_23

possm_23 Member

ok...but here is another question......will the setting of the printer cause the parts to not together correctly...in other, words will it cause distortion?????:-? :???:
  5. rowiac

rowiac Member

possm,

The printer settings should NOT cause distortion. The scaling will be the same in both horizontal and vertical directions. I suppose it's possible to have some distortion due to the printer hardware itself, but I haven't seen this myself. You can print something with an inch or cm scale on it at 100% and check the accuracy of the printed scales with a ruler.

You can, however, get distortion from a scanner. That's easy to check by scanning a ruler in both horizontal and vertical positions, printing the images at full scale and comparing the printed rulers to the actual one.

Roger