Printer questions

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by airbob, Mar 11, 2007.

1. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Guess its just what you want it for.
  2. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Hi all,
    I also have a Epson R800 and am very happy with the quality.
    I do note that when it isn't used for a while it does take ages cleaning prior to printing the first page. I have not had any issues with streaks or missing colours though.
    My question is this: When it cleans itself it obviously uses a quantity of ink from each cartridge. Where does that go? Some people have mentioned that their printers recycle the ink that is used when it self cleans but the Epson doesn't. So is there a big 'sponge' that soaks up this ink and will it 'fill up' at some stage?
    Also can anyone recommend generic inks to refill the cartridges on this printer?
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Yes, there is a sponge. Also, I use re-ink-ing, from re-inks.com.
  4. LetterQ

LetterQ New Member

I have an Epson R200 and it works great as long as you remember one simple trick. Shut it off when you are not using it. If you do that it never clogs and I have never had to clean it. I have had it for about 3 years.
  5. rowiac

rowiac Member

I've also heard that for Epsons, you should turn the printer on once a week even if you aren't going use it. When it starts up, it goes through a priming cycle that will supposedly lessen the chance of clogs.

I don't have to worry about that on my Canon or HP though; they start printing fine even after being turned off or idle several weeks.

Has anyone here used one of those US$200 Konica-Minolta color laser printers? Every time I go to Fry's I think about getting one.

Roger
  6. catalin

catalin Member

i had an epson stylus only once.. and my opinion is that epson, like many other printers is the kind of thing that if you try to reload your cartriges, it will only work once or twice again...

the only printer, even if many say i'm not right, i think it's canon. it doesn't really matters the model. canon makes reliable printers, and only the fancy say that it doesn't print well ( WRONG !!) they say this only because they read in speciality magazines. the diference is not noticeable for human eye...

besides that, the only mode you can wreck a canon is to break it. you can refill your cartiges, you can change it.. it's perfect. and the most important fact: it's very cheap. in romania, they have prices starting from 50 euro...

al that i said i said from the perspective of one who tried a lot of printers, so, trust me :d, buy a canon

catalin

later edit: i didn't read the other pages, so sorry if this isn't the idea of the topic no more
  7. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I'm using a HP1315 all in one at the moment, and am fairly satisfied with it. I had a couple of Lexmarks before, and while they worked well enough, the cartridges cost a mint, and refilling them never really worked all that well.
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Every Lexmark I've had or seen, it's cheaper to buy a new printer than ink. But I had the same results. They print fine.
  9. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I Currently Use An HP Deskjet 6600

I used to have a few Epson inkjets, but they kept on drying up on me because I didn't use them often enough. Summer heat was also a factor.

No problems at all with the HP drying out. The inks (so far) seem to last forever!

The HP Deskjet 6600 I currently use just for printing documents (B&W/Color) though, while my models I usually get printed out at Staples where I've found their laser copies are usually excellent and frequently on sale for only 0.39CAN.

However, the quality of the HP 6600 would still be adequate enough for the average hobbyist. It's just that my models are for sales presentation purposes.

Terry
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I have a Lexmark X1150 which performs quite well and I refill the ink cartriges at a cost of about 20 cents. Much better than buying new carts.

Like John said, if your going to buy new carts for a Lexmark, you might as well get a new printer, they're cheaper and come with ink.

Russell
  11. Ron

Ron Member

I have a Canon i850 and man, has it been abused! Previously, I had various Epson and HP printers and ran into the usual problems. Epson's print heads are not usually removeable and are part of the printer itself. When the heads get irreversably clogged, toss the printer. I seem to recall having to use a small device to reset the chip on the Epson cartridges as well. A long time back, I posted a few methods of clearing those heads here with some success. For me, it's just a pain in the arse to worry about these things :) Newer HP on the other hand, has the print heads as part of the cartridge. For this reason, clogging is minimal and quality stays high. As far as re-filling HP carts, it is possible but after 3-5 times, the print heads tend to wear out and quality becomes reduced. This is from personal experience so I'm sure some folks get different mileage. Canon print heads (on my i850) are removeable and can be thoroughly cleaned. The carts are relatively cheap, empty new carts are available for peanuts etc etc. My dream would be to have one of those continuous ink feed systems for my printer but they still suffer a bit in reliability. Imagine, 4 x 60cc bottles hooked up directly to your printer! If money was really no object and I didn't need to worry about buying ink, I think ultimately I would settle on HP, then Canon, never a Lexmark and I wouldn't *ever* buy an Epson. I had terrible experience years ago with their marketing scams and product support.

Ron
  12. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I've got a K-M 2300DL sitting next to me right now. I've had it for a couple years. It comes with 2500 sheet toner cartrides, which the black lasted about 4 months for me (I do a lot of designing, thus printing in B&W). I then replaced with a 10,000 sheet toner cartridge, and as of now, it is at 78%.
    Of course toner cartridges cost about $100 each, but those are hi-capacity (10,000 sheet)

It has feed problems with 110lb cardstock (1 out of 10 jams) and the ink doesn't stick well.

It has a cardstock setting, so it holds the paper a little longer to heat up more. I use 67lb cardstock, which has never jammed, and with the cardstock setting, holds the ink very well.

I like it.
  13. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I've got a K-M 2300DL sitting next to me right now. I've had it for a couple years. It comes with 2500 sheet toner cartrides, which the black lasted about 4 months for me (I do a lot of designing, thus printing in B&W). I then replaced with a 10,000 sheet toner cartridge, and as of now, it is at 78%.
    Of course toner cartridges cost about $100 each, but those are hi-capacity (10,000 sheet)

It has feed problems with 110lb cardstock (1 out of 10 jams) and the ink doesn't stick well.

It has a cardstock setting, so it holds the paper a little longer to heat up more. I use 67lb cardstock, which has never jammed, and with the cardstock setting, holds the ink very well.

I like it.
  14. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I *love* my --- CANON PIXMA iP1600 --- !

I use it for card modeling, as well as printing color photos and text handouts for work (I'm a teacher as well as a wannabe model designer).

The printing quality is excellent. It's fast and quiet. I have never had a single problem, not one ink clog. You can print on odd-sized scraps of paper. I have printed on paper as thick as 280 gsm, no problem.

On top of all that, it was cheap!

Two ink carts, one color, one black. Reasonable ink consumption rates. What's not to like?

Good luck with your purchase!

Note: I think this printer is sold as the "iP 1500" in North America (I bought mine locally in China).
  15. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I *love* my --- CANON PIXMA iP1600 --- !

I use it for card modeling, as well as printing color photos and text handouts for work (I'm a teacher as well as a wannabe model designer).

The printing quality is excellent. It's fast and quiet. I have never had a single problem, not one ink clog. You can print on odd-sized scraps of paper. I have printed on paper as thick as 280 gsm, no problem.

On top of all that, it was cheap!

Two ink carts, one color, one black. Reasonable ink consumption rates. What's not to like?

Good luck with your purchase!

Note: I think this printer is sold as the "iP 1500" in North America (I bought mine locally in China).
  16. catalin

catalin Member

mine it's Pixma 1300, i bought it for 50 dolars. previously i had canon i250. i was more than happy, but, when you scratch without a reason, you get kicked in... i take it to a store where they put your print head in cleaning solution (for us, the one who refill, refill, refill), for one dolar. it prints perfect after that.. but, me, i put it in technic alcool... al those printing holes where "melted"... DON'T DO THAT!!!
    i don't intend to change the printer, or if i change it.. it will be only a canon...

catalin
  17. catalin

catalin Member

mine it's Pixma 1300, i bought it for 50 dolars. previously i had canon i250. i was more than happy, but, when you scratch without a reason, you get kicked in... i take it to a store where they put your print head in cleaning solution (for us, the one who refill, refill, refill), for one dolar. it prints perfect after that.. but, me, i put it in technic alcool... al those printing holes where "melted"... DON'T DO THAT!!!
    i don't intend to change the printer, or if i change it.. it will be only a canon...

catalin
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I have both an Epson CX6000 and a Canon i760. The Epson I got because we needed a flat bed copier (it's a multi-function, print/scan/copy). But at this time that's about all I have to recommend it (Well, actually I like the scanner stuff). It's LOUD, the ink changing process is unnecessarily complex and the ink costs more than the Canon.

The Canon is much easier to change ink, cheaper ink, has a really useful draft mode for text and stuff, and actually prints better than the Epson. This is the one I use for card model printing.

Rick
  19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I have both an Epson CX6000 and a Canon i760. The Epson I got because we needed a flat bed copier (it's a multi-function, print/scan/copy). But at this time that's about all I have to recommend it (Well, actually I like the scanner stuff). It's LOUD, the ink changing process is unnecessarily complex and the ink costs more than the Canon.

The Canon is much easier to change ink, cheaper ink, has a really useful draft mode for text and stuff, and actually prints better than the Epson. This is the one I use for card model printing.

Rick