Primitive Paper Diversion

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by TexasTubaMan, Apr 18, 2007.

1. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Well, between work, family and Cub Scouts don't get much time to build models, but my son, daughter and I participated in our pack and district pinewood derby. Ever since last year I've had in mind that I wanted to create a car based on the Cylon Raider from the new BSG. Well, I did it. Thought I'd post pics here for grins. except for the wheels, it is wood, which in a sense, is paper in the raw.
    Darrel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Well, between work, family and Cub Scouts don't get much time to build models, but my son, daughter and I participated in our pack and district pinewood derby. Ever since last year I've had in mind that I wanted to create a car based on the Cylon Raider from the new BSG. Well, I did it. Thought I'd post pics here for grins. except for the wheels, it is wood, which in a sense, is paper in the raw.
    Darrel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Darrel
    Cool racer! Have you run it down the track yet?
    Is that a model rocket motor I see sticking out of the back?:wink:
    -Jim G
  4. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Darrel
    Cool racer! Have you run it down the track yet?
    Is that a model rocket motor I see sticking out of the back?:wink:
    -Jim G
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Ya know, those pine racers sure have come a long way...
    I was a scout in 1968, and my car looked like a rectangle with a square on top.

This subject is what inspired my upcoming " Penny Racers"...look for them HERE!!!
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Ya know, those pine racers sure have come a long way...
    I was a scout in 1968, and my car looked like a rectangle with a square on top.

This subject is what inspired my upcoming " Penny Racers"...look for them HERE!!!
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

That is sweet! Almost makes me wish my son was that young again...
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

That is sweet! Almost makes me wish my son was that young again...
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Phil............. I thought I patented that design! I called it the "areodynamic brick" even painted that sucker red.:grin:

Very good racer........... but is it "legal" for the PBD race?:grin: No matter it looks good!

Funny thing is not too long ago I did one for a guy that works with me. I made it look like the 50's style Formula 1 racers (oval body, roll fin on the back)............. it didn't win:oops: but it dang sure looked good!

john
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Phil............. I thought I patented that design! I called it the "areodynamic brick" even painted that sucker red.:grin:

Very good racer........... but is it "legal" for the PBD race?:grin: No matter it looks good!

Funny thing is not too long ago I did one for a guy that works with me. I made it look like the 50's style Formula 1 racers (oval body, roll fin on the back)............. it didn't win:oops: but it dang sure looked good!

john
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Now you have to do the Viper.....

And I remember the rolling bricks from my days in the scouts. Mine even had some red on it, too. But it wasn't paint. I'm still kind of a hazzard with sharp tools....
  12. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Now you have to do the Viper.....

And I remember the rolling bricks from my days in the scouts. Mine even had some red on it, too. But it wasn't paint. I'm still kind of a hazzard with sharp tools....
  13. SteveM

SteveM Member

In my experience, the really cool cars never won; they were always too light. The usual winners were the thinnest slabs that weighed exactly the max limit.

Regardless, that is one awesome "car", beautiful work.
  14. SteveM

SteveM Member

In my experience, the really cool cars never won; they were always too light. The usual winners were the thinnest slabs that weighed exactly the max limit.

Regardless, that is one awesome "car", beautiful work.
  15. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Steve, speed in Pinewood Derby seems to be about wheel and axle prep and center of mass. When I was CubMaster, I would make several cars each year and never once made a wedge. My Batmobiles, Mach V and others were all very fast, but I always had a slow one that ALL the Cubs could beat. The Keaton Batmobile had cardstock forming the turbine, side exhausts and membranes on the fins.
  16. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Steve, speed in Pinewood Derby seems to be about wheel and axle prep and center of mass. When I was CubMaster, I would make several cars each year and never once made a wedge. My Batmobiles, Mach V and others were all very fast, but I always had a slow one that ALL the Cubs could beat. The Keaton Batmobile had cardstock forming the turbine, side exhausts and membranes on the fins.
  17. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

It did pretty well. In our open category for our pack derby it took I believe it was second place.

At our district derby, it got best craftmanship in the open category. It probably place about 7th in speed out of about 20 cars. The open category allows more flexibility for the tires. The winning cars for speed had extensive modifications to the wheels (thinning them down to be basically disks, holes drilled to make even lighter, etc.) But I was pleased. My son's car got best craftmanship in the Wolf category as well.

The back rocket is out of my model spares box. Its an exhaust nozzle from an old 1/72 Italerie F-18 kit.

Darrel
  18. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

It did pretty well. In our open category for our pack derby it took I believe it was second place.

At our district derby, it got best craftmanship in the open category. It probably place about 7th in speed out of about 20 cars. The open category allows more flexibility for the tires. The winning cars for speed had extensive modifications to the wheels (thinning them down to be basically disks, holes drilled to make even lighter, etc.) But I was pleased. My son's car got best craftmanship in the Wolf category as well.

The back rocket is out of my model spares box. Its an exhaust nozzle from an old 1/72 Italerie F-18 kit.

Darrel
  19. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

I've thought about that. However, I almost have my mind set on trying a Mach 5 for next year.
  20. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

I've thought about that. However, I almost have my mind set on trying a Mach 5 for next year.