price of copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesWestern

Harpo said:
Hi there, Biased Turkey! Sorry to disagree, but the CorAnglais is a modern day version of a tenor oboe (woodwind); the 'French horn' is a brass instrument. So what's the connection to railroading....work with me on this...ah...ah...YES! Badly played they both sound like a diesel horn. Really really badly played one of them can even sound like the diesel itself! (Usually with one cylinder misfiring...or more)
______
Harpo

sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

abutt

Just had an email from a friend in Phoenix. His son's new house, sitting all framed in waiting for inspectors had all his wiring stolen. He reported it to police and they said that kind of thing has turned into an epidemic in Phoenix and other towns. The next night all his plumbing was stolen! He now has an trailer parked in front of the construction and plans to guard it 24 hrs a day until the repairs are made and the dry walls are up. WOW! Welcome to the real world.

Allan

ezdays

Out AZ way
abutt said:
Just had an email from a friend in Phoenix. His son's new house, sitting all framed in waiting for inspectors had all his wiring stolen. He reported it to police and they said that kind of thing has turned into an epidemic in Phoenix and other towns. The next night all his plumbing was stolen! He now has an trailer parked in front of the construction and plans to guard it 24 hrs a day until the repairs are made and the dry walls are up. WOW! Welcome to the real world.

Allan
Yep, happens every day here. There are people that go to construction sites during the day and they haven't a clue if these guys are subs or not. Two years ago the house across the street lost all it's copper pipes when under construction. A few weeks later they were ready to put in the finished plumbing which was delivered at 7:30 in the morning. At 7:45 the plumbers arrived and it was all gone. The people I blame as much as the thieves is the scrap yards that buy the stuff. Shouldn't they be just a little bit suspicious when someone comes in with a load of new copper pipe or new-looking wire saying that it is scrap?

Our builder wouldn't put in the appliances until the day we were going to sign the papers. This is not a new problem around construction sites here, they will steal anything that has value, and even some stuff that doesn't.:curse: :curse:

who_dat73

ezdays said:
Yep, happens every day here. There are people that go to construction sites during the day and they haven't a clue if these guys are subs or not. Two years ago the house across the street lost all it's copper pipes when under construction. A few weeks later they were ready to put in the finished plumbing which was delivered at 7:30 in the morning. At 7:45 the plumbers arrived and it was all gone. The people I blame as much as the thieves is the scrap yards that buy the stuff. Shouldn't they be just a little bit suspicious when someone comes in with a load of new copper pipe or new-looking wire saying that it is scrap?

Now I have to say I resent that remark about us being thieves we have plumbers come in all the time with 20 foot copper pipes that have a lil bend here or to much corrosion to pass code that is otherwise for a do it yourselfer in great shape, same with electricans they come in With boxes of romax wire that are the left over scraps from a new house project but they are to short to do anything else with. If I suspect that this is a lil to good to be true I take down a licance number for future refrance if Jonny law would happen to let us know to keep a eye out we have busted a few people that way.
But you have to think of it this way if we checked every Joe that comes in the door that would be a very long tedious day:thumb:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Hell, here up north, they break into the acsess panels on street lights and rip the wires out. Couple of years ago, someone had refurbished a brownstone that had a copper covered onion dome. Two weeks afetr they finished the roof, all the copper from the dome had been ripped off.

MilesWestern

What's with people and shiny metal!?!?!!?!?? GOD! It seems we'd hurl ourselves off a high cliff, just so we could reach the pile of gold (or in this case, copper)on the bottom! Sheesh!

ezdays

Out AZ way
who_dat73 said:
Now I have to say I resent that remark about us being thieves we have plumbers come in all the time with 20 foot copper pipes that have a lil bend here or to much corrosion to pass code that is otherwise for a do it yourselfer in great shape, same with electricans they come in With boxes of romax wire that are the left over scraps from a new house project but they are to short to do anything else with. If I suspect that this is a lil to good to be true I take down a licance number for future refrance if Jonny law would happen to let us know to keep a eye out we have busted a few people that way.
But you have to think of it this way if we checked every Joe that comes in the door that would be a very long tedious day:thumb:
No, I never said that all scrap yards are run by thieves. What I did say is that I blame those scrap yards that buy this stuff as much as the guys that steal it. If there was no market, there would be no reason to take it. There are scrap dealers here, and I'm sure in a lot of other places, that knowingly take in this stuff and pay a low-ball price for it, no questions asked, no ID's taken. We are not talking small quantities, or corroded pipes or wire cut-offs. We're talking large quantities a new pipe and new wire.

Relic

This is not a new thing. YEARS ago, before they started putting cables underground y' take yer trusty 22 and shoot the insulaters off a few poles, hack off as much wire as yer truck (or tractor) will pull take it to a convienient place where y' pile it up and burn off the insulation. Then it's off to the liquer store via the junk yard.

Relic said:
This is not a new thing. YEARS ago, before they started putting cables underground y' take yer trusty 22 and shoot the insulaters off a few poles, hack off as much wire as yer truck (or tractor) will pull take it to a convienient place where y' pile it up and burn off the insulation. Then it's off to the liquer store via the junk yard.

And hope like heck the juice doesn't fry you!:rolleyes: :D

I got very lucky last year. A tech was cleaning out the phone room of a building where a friend lives and offered me the clippings of phone wire. I took 'em (a lot of these clipped strands were from 8 to 20 inches long) so I have lots of low voltage colour coded wire for my buildings. :D
Also, I tend to collect scrap electronic goodies (old radios, VCRs, computer components etc) that get tossed out and salvage the parts out of them. I have a lot of spare parts laying around so I usually don't have to buy parts at all.:D :thumb: :D

who_dat73

MilesWestern said:
What happened to having one member here post pics of their scrapyard? I wanna model it!
I didnt forget ya Miles I am taking my weeks vacation this next week so the Big Boss cant yell at me to get back to work and or put me to work since I am my time sign1

ezdays

Out AZ way
who_dat73 said:
I didnt forget ya Miles I am taking my weeks vacation this next week so the Big Boss cant yell at me to get back to work and or put me to work since I am my time sign1
That will be very interesting to see. Hop up on one of those big cranes and get an overhead shot.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Just kidding..:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.