price of copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
was told that copper prices have broke4$ a lb so that means to us modelers that the price of track and other related things that use copper are going to go up drasticly:cry:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
jim currie said:
was told that copper prices have broke4$ a lb so that means to us modelers that the price of track and other related things that use copper are going to go up drasticly:cry:
Yeah, but in a way, that's going to help the Arizona economy. They're starting to reopen some lower-yielding mines that they shut down when copper was a lot lower.

The things that are going to get hit the hardest are going to be wire and anything with a printed circuit board in it.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
It's causing a heck of a headache for the cellphone companies. There have been a lot of break-ins at cell phone tower sites. The crooks are stealing the copper grounding bars and the grounding wire to sell. The PD departments have had to put extra patrols on sites lately because of this.

Michael
(The stuff you learn working at 911....)

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
MilesWestern said:
do you have any pics of your scrap yard? I'd like to model one.

Thanks if you can...

Miles I would be happy to get you some pics probly Tue. I'll post them here.
Thought of doing one on my layout also but havn't as of yet because it will take some bashing on the excavators and such and I'm not quite to that level yet but eventually I will get there:thumb:

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
jim currie said:

The price of track ?? aren't track made out of niickel-silver ? :)

Harpo

Jan 21, 2005
Raleigh NC
What we know as 'nickle silver' really would be better identified as 'nickle-brass'; regular yellow brass is generally a 70% copper/30% zinc alloy; nickle 'silver' is the same proportion with anywhere from 5% to 15% nickle added to the mix. There is a third alloy used mostly in musical instrument manufacture often referred to as rose brass, red brass, or more inaccurately called 'gold brass' because of its deeper gold color. It's really just yellow brass with a higher copper percentage and lower zinc. (80% copper, 20% zinc). What's the advantage? Nickle brass is more resistant to corrosion, both nickle brass and red brass are harder (denser) alloys which conduct sound differently than yellow brass. To the brass player, this can be very important; to the model railroader only the looks and resistance to corrosion is important. Sorry guys, there is no silver in nickle silver, no gold in gold brass. Oh rats......no silver threads among the gold.
______
Harpo

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks Harpo, very interesting info about the metallurgy of nickel-silver
So, if I understand it we railroad modelers have been fooled for years by the manufacturers.
I can smell some class action here :)
Why not.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Jeeesh , im glad im sitting on abot 500 - 600 pounds of # 1 copper in my yard, just need to strip it when it gets nice and hot 600mcm - about a pound a foot - woohooo

Harpo

Jan 21, 2005
Raleigh NC
Hi all, again
I don't think, however, that anyone has intentionally tried to fool anyone over the name. (Sort of like the English speaking countries insist upon calling it a 'French' horn...there's nothing French about it...) I'm not sure where the 'nickle silver' term originated, but somehow it became widely used, especially in the musical instrument business. Jim Currie is absolutely right, in that it was called 'German silver', and prior to that I think the orginal term was "Melchoir"; in German it was also termed 'Neusilber" or, literally 'new-silver'. Maybe that's where the hook into 'silver' came from. In any event, the addition of that 5 to 10% nickle to the yellow brass makes quite a difference. The alloy is significantly harder than yellow brass, yet at the same time conducts electricity extremely well, solders very easily, and resists oxidation/tarnish better than yellow brass. I would think, and hope, that where sliding electrical contacts are required (loco wheel contacts?) NB would have a decided advantage while adding virtually no extra cost in manufacture. I'll have to start inspecting my locos and ...nah. too much trouble, and they work fine...
________
Harpo

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
The market doesnt work that way.

Silver and gold are at a 7 year high and that is not showing yup yet.

Most track on dealers shelves is secure, but you could make a rush on it and buy all you can if you think not.

Or buy nickle or SS track.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Andy
heard on the news that some hillbillies inNew Brunswick have been breaking into POWER SUB STATIONS and stealing copper!! Those boys are hard up for beer money

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Harpo said:
Hi all, again
I don't think, however, that anyone has intentionally tried to fool anyone over the name. (Sort of like the English speaking countries insist upon calling it a 'French' horn...there's nothing French about it...) I'm not sure where the 'nickle silver' term originated, but somehow it became widely used, especially in the musical instrument business. Jim Currie is absolutely right, in that it was called 'German silver', and prior to that I think the orginal term was "Melchoir"; in German it was also termed 'Neusilber" or, literally 'new-silver'. Maybe that's where the hook into 'silver' came from. In any event, the addition of that 5 to 10% nickle to the yellow brass makes quite a difference. The alloy is significantly harder than yellow brass, yet at the same time conducts electricity extremely well, solders very easily, and resists oxidation/tarnish better than yellow brass. I would think, and hope, that where sliding electrical contacts are required (loco wheel contacts?) NB would have a decided advantage while adding virtually no extra cost in manufacture. I'll have to start inspecting my locos and ...nah. too much trouble, and they work fine...
________
Harpo

Funny, because in French they call it the "Cor Anglais" ( English Horn )
lol

Harpo

Jan 21, 2005
Raleigh NC
Hi there, Biased Turkey! Sorry to disagree, but the CorAnglais is a modern day version of a tenor oboe (woodwind); the 'French horn' is a brass instrument. So what's the connection to railroading....work with me on this...ah...ah...YES! Badly played they both sound like a diesel horn. Really really badly played one of them can even sound like the diesel itself! (Usually with one cylinder misfiring...or more)
______
Harpo

Status
Not open for further replies.