Precision Craft

coachC

Feb 6, 2006
Alabama
How good are these locomotives? Do they run smooth with good sound? I was thinking about purchasing this one

Broadway Limited Imports

I haven't heard much about this company. I searched around the forum and found only a few references to them. Most of them were positive. Anyone have this loco or any other of thier sound equipped diesels?

Thanks.

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Athearn has recently discontinued their SW1500 switcher. Last I heard, these locos were retailing for $39.95. Athearn has an excellent reputation for reliability and detail. Of course the Athearn is not DCC ready. The BLI is selling for nearly $200 and is also not DCC ready. Since the Athearn was only recently discontinued, I'll bet you'll still find some at your local dealer. Check around the internet and you might even find some that have been greatly discounted.

-Ed

coachC

Feb 6, 2006
Alabama
The BLI is selling for nearly $200 and is also not DCC ready

According to the website, it has DCC w/sound. Am I reading it wrong? They have others that are cheaper without the DCC and sound.

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
"DCC & Sound Upgradeable" Units denoted as DCC & Sound Upgradeable are units that are not sound equipped and function only in DC. Modelers may choose to purchase an optional Sound & DCC upgrade kit, specifically tailored to the prototype which will add DCC and sound functionality. Upgrade kit works only for PCM models with PCM motherboards.

Please note that the above notice was shown below the model's specifications and indicates to me that neither sound or DCC is supplied. Nonetheless, if you and I are confused, you had better make a phone call and find out for sure.
-Ed

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
CoachC, you are right. The SW1500s selling for §199 are equipped with an ESU LokSound decoder and run on DCC and DC. The DC version without decoder and sound sells for $99.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
It isn't in front of my right now...but...

I only bought mine because of Factor Direct Trains' sale:
It was $150 for my dad and I each to get one with sound

They still have plenty in On30.