Pre-Dreadnought Ting-Yuen 1895

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Greetings,

With my supervisor sick for the day, I jumped the gun on this build to run a test print of this single sheet model. It kills me, but I can no longer find the link that posted in the Internet find Forum. But the credit appearns in the pictures, so hopefully someone will remember that link and repost it here.

Also, I am dreadfully close to finishing my Dreadnought, which will give me a good run down on mistakes I've made and other issues to keep an eye out for.

The original model is a sinlge 8.5*11, which enlarged 350% gives me (I hope) a 1:200 build. I ran some test before printing the entire sheet with good results, and the single sheet came out as well.

Apparently, the Chinese government constructed a replica of the ship, so I have some decent detail photos to work with along with a good amount of reference provided by Kaz, many thanks to everyone. With this in hand, recoloring some of the pieces quickly comes to mind along with the need to improve upon some of the more detailed features.

So here for now is a least a few pics of the print, I am going to try and lay the hull down this weekend.

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
A second pic and Im realizing how crappy my focus was. Also, disregard the dump of a kitchen. I'm currently looking for a new place (I can't believe my wife talked me into living here).

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
And a third.

Some thanks goes out to Leif who helped me out inposting larger pictures, although at this point I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not.

Brad

Leif Oh

Jan 27, 2004
Goteborg, Sweden
Good for you, Brad - although there is of course always a case to be made for moderation in all things. Remember the little hint about 600 px width in consideration of people such as myself less endowed with luxurious amounts of screen width... ? Also, it will give you better quality out of your availble 45 KB.

Anyways, best of luck with the new project!

Leif

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Hmm,

I fix the size now the dpi has gone to crap. Oh well, try and try again.

Sorry about that, Leif.

Brad

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
There's a rescaling tutorial by Leif in the articles section. Basically you have to pick the original image pages apart with a graphics program, rescale them and reassemble on to the paper size of your choice.

Regards,

Charlie'

pbhawkin

Apr 25, 2005
Mudgee, NSW, Australia
Brad,
I also have this ship and am interested in your "reference material" that you have.
Is it possible for you to email copies of what you have, including any pictures, to me (if this is ok then PM me and I will give you my email address to send to).
Out of interest, who is 'Kaz'? You mention they helped with some material as well.
I am interested in enlarging this ship to 1:250 to fit in with my slowly growing collection.

Regards
Peter in Australia

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Kaz pm'd me off thread with some additional material, which he emailed over to me. Yeah I would be happy to send this stuff over to you, if you don't mind waiting a day or so. I've disocered i have some non-Ting Yuen photos mixed into my directory. Plus, I'm on my way out for now.

But tomorrow, no problem.

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Greetings,

2 things. First, Peter, I have not gotten that material to you yet. I'll try and manage it tomorrow.

Second, I finally started building the blasted thing. I have the hull pieces cut out with formers now drying onto the waterline portion of the hull. Tomorrow, Ill have the main deck and hull plating on along with pics.

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Greetings,

Just a test build of the hull, I've managed to collect enought sources to realize that this beast is going to get recolored. I'm still struggling with camera basics, so bear with me.

The first step, I snatched a concept Digital Navy used for Dreadnouth as formers.

So, without further ado, heres the first pic...

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Greetings,

Just a test build of the hull, I've managed to collect enought sources to realize that this beast is going to get recolored. I'm still struggling with camera basics, so bear with me.

The first step, I snatched a concept Digital Navy used for Dreadnouth as formers.

So, without further ado, heres the first pic...

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Greetings,

Another short update. The main structure and forecastle are on (actually everythings just tacked) and I encountered my first fit problem. On the aft structure, the plating seems a hair too long and bows out over the main hull plating. Trimming wouldnt be a problem except the presence of 2 Dragons gracing the plate. Even before this problem, I had debated "lifting" them off in photoshop and adding them as a seperate element, so that might be do-able.

One or 2 more pieces and some gun tests and I think Im headed back to the digital drawing board with my notes.

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Greetings,

Another short update. The main structure and forecastle are on (actually everythings just tacked) and I encountered my first fit problem. On the aft structure, the plating seems a hair too long and bows out over the main hull plating. Trimming wouldnt be a problem except the presence of 2 Dragons gracing the plate. Even before this problem, I had debated "lifting" them off in photoshop and adding them as a seperate element, so that might be do-able.

One or 2 more pieces and some gun tests and I think Im headed back to the digital drawing board with my notes.

Cheers,
Brad