powerlock track

sammyd

Got a cute little holiday express set from lifelike and was looking into making a christmas layout.
Basically an oval with 2 sidings so I can have 2 different trains to run without having to put them on and take them off.
Only problem is I can't see a good way to isolate the sidings from the main with the powerlock track.
Anybody have experience with this?

I know powerlock isn't the best but I'm not in the position to spend a lot of dough at the moment so I'd like to use what I have.

thanx for any input.

F

Fred_M

I'm thinking it's the Lifelike kind that you can put a piece of tape on the contacts before you snap the tracks together and that will insulate the siding. Fred

basementdweller

My first layout was made using Power loc track, You can isolate the siding by placing electrical tape over the contacts (one side / rail only for DC) just as Fred mentioned. If you wish to then control that siding just solder a small 20 guage wire to the OUTSIDE of the rail that you isolated, and hook it to a toggle switch to turn the power on and off.
Power Loc track isn't that bad, makes a good solid layout quick and easy, the track that has the grey roadbed is nickle silver track, the black roadbed has steel track. The only downfall I found was that Lifelike didn't make many different parts like crossings and large turnouts. Infact the power loc turnouts I found very reliable, the trains could run against the turnout that was set in the wrong direction and not derail as the points are spring loaded.

sammyd

wow fast response :)
Thanx.
Looks like tape is the way to go for isolation.
But after further research and application of a small phillips I find that I can take apart the bumpers on the end of the sidings and solder wire in there to the track contacts. For switching power on and off to each siding.

Just solder the connection to the outside of the rail. If you do it on the inside, then it will derail the train.

Freelancer