Powerful of Metaseq + Pepakura

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Mar 13, 2004.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Gil,

$195 is too much for me too and i happy to use metaseq + Pepakura :D i think i will try UU3D for my model too.
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Gil et al,

That is why I use coreldraw and do all my stuff in vector format!! I did a lot of mapping work on flight sim models, and never really got to grips with it. There was always some corner that didn't match up, or smeared, or looked 'bitmappy'. That said, bitmap images are much better at doing dusty, smokey effects, so combining the two would be vere handy. Canvas 7 is very good at this, but has other limitations. At the moment I am sticking to Coreldraw (v9 just now) and not doing any colouring work until I have a set of unfolded, vector, images.

I'll post some screen shots tonight!

Tim P
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

The next step is to take a vector drawn side view image and map it to the half fuselage for unfolding with texture (which is the vector drawn side view as a bmp). This will yield a fairly good template for final drawing creation in illustrator (the drawings I have are not accurate so I've got to make up my own using photographs of the aircraft). It will allow the near perfect positioning of all surface graphic articles. The graphic that I used was available and easy to use to illustrate the effect that I was after. Now the real work begins...., now just exactly what was it I did to make it work last time....,

Best regards, Gil

P.S. Take a look at metallic paper thread..., I'm off to making my own. Just finished snipping off a test piece to scribe in some panel lines and rivet detail. This is too much fun!!! I'll show some of this tomorrow.
  4. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Thanks for the tips, and a note on Surfmaster

Thanks for the tips, I will spin it and see what I can do.
    If I am understanding correctly, I need to make my
    texture map the shape of my mesh? What about
    surrounding whitespace? ( a bitmap would have a
    LOT of perimeter whitespace)

A note on Surfmaster, it IS 195$, BUT, it
    also requires you to have a copy of AutoCAD.
    No small investment. :cry:
    Too bad it is not independent of that expensive overhead.

I like Metaseq, just have not given it a proper road test.
    I have been messing with Amapi3d, and Winds3D for
    modeling my polymesh.

I obtained a couple UV mapping applications, and plan
    to give them a try as well.

Regards,
    ButchPrice
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Butch,

To quote:

"Thanks for the tips, I will spin it and see what I can do.
    If I am understanding correctly, I need to make my
    texture map the shape of my mesh? What about
    surrounding whitespace? ( a bitmap would have a
    LOT of perimeter whitespace)"

The answer is yes. Creating the UV mapping will in turn create a 2D UV mapping mesh which you save or export as either a bmp or eps file. This is opened in your paint program and used as the template for drawing. The drawing is a flat surface but "contains" the UV map as applied earlier. Anything drawn outside this mesh will not be mapped back onto the 3D surface only that which is inside the periphery is mapped. Once the drawing is completed and saved as a bmp file it is applied as the texture file in Pepakura. Don't worry about all the unused bits right now those can be dealt with later once you master the basic method.

Best regards, Gil