Powerful of Metaseq + Pepakura

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Mar 13, 2004.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

My latest work come from metaseq and Pepakura
  2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

other picture
  3. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

NICE JOB! (hope I can get some of this software to work on my machine soon....)
  4. Ziga

Ziga Member

NOBI as I said before (in the other thread) it's good to see the Fokker XXI in paper. Is it going to be available for $ or for free?

Best regards,
    Kaz
  5. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Should be free or not? :wink:
  6. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

for those of us who are poor, free is always good, but I also believe that "the worker is worth his wages"
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Nobi,

I forgot...., is there an English version of Pepakura and how much does it cost? Can you post the URL?

Best regards, Gil

P.S. The reason I'm using the Ultimate Unwrap 3D is it's compatible with (the files are import/export compatible that is) Adobe Illustrator, TrueSpace and TurboCAD all of which I use. Brings up another question...., how compatible is Pepakura?
  8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Gil,

Yes, there r english version of pepakura available at http://www.e-cardmodel.com/pepakura-en/ but i can not connect to that site, alway blank page show,

pepakura can open hexaking Super (.6kt, .6ks), wave front (.obj), autocad (.dxf), metaseq (.mqo), 3dstudio (.3ds) and lightwave (.lwo). about export unfold job, pepakura can export to .bmp, .eps and .emf
  9. Ziga

Ziga Member

NOBI, free would be nice, but just as the ARMORMAN said your job is worth the $.
    The choice is yours ;-)

Best regards,
    Kaz
  10. barry

barry Active Member

11. Gil

Gil Active Member

12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nobi,

Looks like I'm going to buy Pepakura also..., I loaded a fuselage in from an old CAD file and let it unfold it. It did an amazingly good job at unfolding it without any other input which is really impressive. The program indicated that the amount of polys were too many but it made the unwrap just the same...., I loaded TrueSpace 4.3 today and now will be under the spell of yet another new program.

It's beginning to look like there is a need for several different application packages to achieve a high degree of "art" in card modeling. A 3D CAD Drawing Package; a 2D Drawing Package;a UV Rendering Package; and finally an Unfold Package. While some of the software is good at one thing it seems to have major shortcomings in ohter areas.

Tim,

You might want to quote post this in the Card Software area.

Best regards and Thanks Again! Gil
  13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Gil,

Pepakura is worth to purchase ;) if pepakura warning about too many polygon, try to seperate your model into each section like wing, fuselage cockpit and let's pepakura unfold in each section or reduce your polygon down

for me many 3dprogram what have powrful to create wonderful model in market. i hope i can have skill in those program but im not have enough time to practice with that program, only 3dprogram i can do is metaseq :(
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

After using Ultimate Unwrap 3D and Pepakura I've decided that Pepakura is the best all around package for card modeling. UU3D has some problems in placing the "cut" line for unfolding the model. Pepakura was somewhat a mystery as there isn't any in depth tutorials regarding it's use. One issue was how to scale the output to the proper size. It was finally solved by unchecking "Auto" which results in a request to set the oputput parameters. You have to know how big the assembled model will be for this in centimeters. Once urwrapped "check corresponding surface" allows rearranging the parts correctly (believe me this is important to sort out all the unfolded parts). One last item is that it can save in the EPS format (without texture) which allows vector editing in paint programs. Now to check out the texture unfolding capabiliites.

Best regards, Gil
  15. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Texture Question

:?: I can't seem to get a handle on textures in Pepakura.
    Maybe I am segmenting my models incorrectly.
    I want to be able to apply my texture to specific
    areas, like the graphic for the top, side, bottom.

Do you guys put your textures on "after" unfolding,
    with a different program? Do you unfold with basic colors,
    or more complex finishes :?:

Unfortunately, I have not had much time to work
    with Metaseq, and the method I have been playing around
    with is sort of stone age. I model my basic shapes
    in Wings3d, (free, and super easy to use) but the
    UV mapping eludes me still, it is not intuitive to me. :(

:idea: So, I export to .3ds format, and open in Metaseq,
    where I apply basic colors. Then I open that .mqo
    file in Pepakura, and unfold. Whew, still with me?
    LOL ok, then I save the pattern as a bitmap,
    open it in MS Paint, and finish it up.
    I have obtained the latest Gimp, and hope to
    get into using it for the editing.

I know there must be an easier way. :roll:

Best regards,
    ButchPrice
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

Butch, we look at a map of the world all the time..., it is a "mapping" of a sphere (earth) onto a flat plane. Think of UV Mapping as you would the multiply, add, subtract and divide "functions" in mathematics. So a Flat Plane (UV Map) World Sphere Geography = Map of the World is the notation for getting from a sphere by using the UV Map function to a flat plane map. It relates each and every graphic on the sphere to each and every graphic on the plane.

In the above example a sphere was used. Other major categoreies for mapping types are planar, cylinder and cube. These are applied to the 3D geometric surface by such programs as Ultimate Unwrap 3D, Rhino, Truespace, 3D Studio and many others. The application of a UV map type depends on the type of 3D figure it's being applied to. Applying a cube to a sphere for instance isn't a good idea. Using a fuselage as an example I use a planar mapping. This gives a good "fit" between the flat bitmap that will be "stretched" over the fuselages surface through the UV mapping function. A checker board pattern is used to test the mapping for continuity. If the polymesh surface checkers are not square it means that the surface is being stretched too much in the "long" direction. The UV mapping function has adjustments for scale and aspect ratios which are used to adjust out these irregularities. I use UU3D (Ultimate Unwrap 3D) to do the mapping and to make these adjustments and for making small manual adjustments to the UV Map itself before saving it the 3D model and the mapping for use in a paint program. The point of all this is you have to have a UV Map to relate a flat drawing to a 3D fuselage that you want to unroll with that texture mapped on the developed surface.

Importing the uv map into a paint program as a bmp is the next step. I usually have a good side view which has been clipped to remove most extraneous detail ready to overlay the imported UV map. Usng the tools of the paint program to adjust length and height so that the side view completely covers the UV map is the what you're trying to achieve here. Once satisfied "flatten" the layers into one bitmap and save as a bmp file.

Opening UU3D once again the original half fuselage 3D model is opened and selected. You have to go to the scene sidebar and open materials to load the newly created texture map through it's properties which allows you to load your bmp texture file. Applying this as "decal" will split the bmp up according to the section lines of the fuselage. Saving these files allows the model to now be opened in Pepakura for final unfolding.

Open the file in Pepakura and make necessary adjusments for size, line types etc. and set texture which will show the models texture map. Select development and voila! you have an unfolded textured model in the right side of the split screen.

This can be reloaded into your paint program and used as a template to accurately position your vector based artwork to finish the model.

The photo below shows one-half of a model that I've been working on. Note the streaks on the upper and lower extents where I didn't take the time to reposition the UV map. This is all right as the areas of interst have enough detail for accurate template use.

Best regards, Gil
  17. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Gil,

Really great on unfold job :D
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Thanks Nobi,

It took an amazing amount of time to get it to this point. I now realize how few people actually understand UV mapping. Worse yet is the way it's implemented in software. Getting from the surface to the unfolded piece with texture was accomplished with Pepakura. Really interesting fact is that none of the ohter software has this ability.

Any comments Tim?

Best regards, Gil
  19. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Gil,

Forgot surfmaster? $195 for Modelart's quality...
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nobi,

I'm not that familiar with Surfmaster but after the length of the learning curve it might have been an easier way to achieve the same thing. I'll look at it but at $195 it's a little costly. Are you thinking about getting a version of it?

Best regards, Gil