Power truck

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Black Beetle

Jon,

Steam Era Models in Australia make and sell self contained powered bogies. Called "Black Beetle". A link is here There is a drawing/pic of them at the top of the page. Just 1/2 $AUS for $US.

I have used two of these so far and have had no probs, even with a load trailing.

They are used worldwide it appears. Specification, installation and usage doco is here

They are represented in the UK by Branchline Models. I don't know of a US based distributor, howver Steam Era Models do take international orders.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thanks to both of you for your tips. I had been to the NWSL site looking for gears to make my own powertruck, but didn't notice the flea. Other thot's: I might try using an F-units power truck. The one I have fits nicely, but uses the other truck for power pickup. I thought of using a gandydancer set as a power truck, but the wheelbase is way too short. It would be comical to leave the guys on it and let spectators wonder what the heck they're doing inside :)

jon

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Woodie, A "Gandydancer" does not work in a strip club:D :D :eek: Its a North American term for a trackworker. Just where and what the origin of the name is I don't know but I'm willing to bet that someone on here does and will enlighten us both:) :D I've sorta wondered where the term came from myself.:confused:

C

Catt

Jon,you might concider an older Bachmann GE 44 tonner or 70 tonner. The have two independant self-contained power trucks and are quite adaptable to all kinds of HO and On30 critters.:D The newer 44 tonners won't work because they have altered the mech. so it now only has one motor powering both trucks.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
"Gandy dancer" is sometimes said to come from the appearance of the men spiking down the track -- looks like a goose dancing. I don't completely trust this explanation.

Doesn't PFM or Tenshodo have a SPUD power truck?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
http://www.bachmann-trains.com/asp/full?pcode=46202

I never heard them called a Gandy Dancer until I saw the Bachman Gandy Dancer for ~$12 and ordered it from train world. The first time we fired it up and ran it around the test track the wife and I both got at least a $12 laugh out of it, $12 ea. X 2 = $24 - $12 (purchase price) = $12 proffit. You can't affordt not to order one. What a hoot. It's so funny because the guys jump up and down so fast they are a blur. A complete riot. Otherwise, mostly useless.

jon

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
If you believe everything (anthing?) you read on the internet:

Railroad history is remembered in the name "Gandy Dancer." Hand crews, who built and maintained the tracks, used railroad tools manufactured by the Chicago-based Gandy Tool Company. Often the crews used vocal and mechanical cadences to synchronize the swinging of their hand tools or the movement of their feet. Hence the name "Gandy Dancer" reminds us of the past crews who built the railroads.

This is from:

http://www.polkcountytourism.com/gandydancer.html

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Gandy Dancer

Well so far both explainations are very plausible but I tend to lean toward the one about the Gandy Tool Co....but they do kinda look like a goose dancing too:D

Attachments

• galbraith03.gif
    galbraith03.gif
    75.9 KB · Views: 156

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
I mentioned the talk here about the origin of the name GandyDancer to my wife. According to her Gandy is a word that means work song. I dunno, but there might be something to it since the work was performed to the rhythm of music alot.

just thought I'd add it to the list. :confused:

t.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Originally posted by Catt!
Jon,you might concider an older Bachmann GE 44 tonner or 70 tonner. The have two independant self-contained power trucks and are quite adaptable to all kinds of HO and On30 critters.:D The newer 44 tonners won't work because they have altered the mech. so it now only has one motor powering both trucks.

OK, so I got an older 44 ton GE from e-bay. The wheelbase is too short, about the same as the gandy dancer. Both trucks are dead on this one anyway. Perhaps a bigger issue is the little bugger is so cute :rolleyes: how could I rip the trucks out of it!?!?!?! I just can't bear to sacrifice one dinky to save another! Anyways, do you know if the 70 jobby has the same trucks or are they a longer wheelbase? Or does anyone know of an F unit that has independant power truck(s)? An F7 truck is about right, and I gots no problem ripping the guts out of an F7 :mad:

On the bright side of the e-bay deal, I got two other switchers that run; an EMD unit which I will toss a pic up to try to find out who made it, and a weird dinky made in yugoslavia. The EMD runs very smoothly and just needs a little plastic repair, railings and two of the four side frames. The yugo runs too, but it's a cheapie.

jon