Power truck

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by jon-monon, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Anyone know where I can buy a universal power truck? I need one to fit a small industrial switcher (Plymouth CR-4).

jon
  2. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Black Beetle

Jon,

Steam Era Models in Australia make and sell self contained powered bogies. Called "Black Beetle". A link is here There is a drawing/pic of them at the top of the page. Just 1/2 $AUS for $US.

I have used two of these so far and have had no probs, even with a load trailing.

They are used worldwide it appears. Specification, installation and usage doco is here

They are represented in the UK by Branchline Models. I don't know of a US based distributor, howver Steam Era Models do take international orders.
  3. Vic

Vic Active Member

Powee truck

Hi Jon and welcome aboard.:)

Check out www.nwsl.com they have something very similar to what Woodie described. They call it "The Flea"
  4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Thanks to both of you for your tips. I had been to the NWSL site looking for gears to make my own powertruck, but didn't notice the flea. Other thot's: I might try using an F-units power truck. The one I have fits nicely, but uses the other truck for power pickup. I thought of using a gandydancer set as a power truck, but the wheelbase is way too short. It would be comical to leave the guys on it and let spectators wonder what the heck they're doing inside :)

jon
  5. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

What's a "gandydancer"??? :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

Is that sorta like a hootenanny on wheels?? :rolleyes: :)
  6. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Woodie, A "Gandydancer" does not work in a strip club:D :D :eek: Its a North American term for a trackworker. Just where and what the origin of the name is I don't know but I'm willing to bet that someone on here does and will enlighten us both:) :D I've sorta wondered where the term came from myself.:confused:
  7. Catt

Catt Guest

Jon,you might concider an older Bachmann GE 44 tonner or 70 tonner. The have two independant self-contained power trucks and are quite adaptable to all kinds of HO and On30 critters.:D The newer 44 tonners won't work because they have altered the mech. so it now only has one motor powering both trucks.
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

"Gandy dancer" is sometimes said to come from the appearance of the men spiking down the track -- looks like a goose dancing. I don't completely trust this explanation.

Doesn't PFM or Tenshodo have a SPUD power truck?
  9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

http://www.bachmann-trains.com/asp/full?pcode=46202

I never heard them called a Gandy Dancer until I saw the Bachman Gandy Dancer for ~$12 and ordered it from train world. The first time we fired it up and ran it around the test track the wife and I both got at least a $12 laugh out of it, $12 ea. X 2 = $24 - $12 (purchase price) = $12 proffit. You can't affordt not to order one. What a hoot. It's so funny because the guys jump up and down so fast they are a blur. A complete riot. Otherwise, mostly useless.

jon
  10. billk

billk Active Member

If you believe everything (anthing?) you read on the internet:

This is from:

http://www.polkcountytourism.com/gandydancer.html
  11. Vic

Vic Active Member

Gandy Dancer

Well so far both explainations are very plausible but I tend to lean toward the one about the Gandy Tool Co....but they do kinda look like a goose dancing too:D

Attached Files:

12. alkcnw

alkcnw Member

Now thats the way to put down a rail!!!!!:eek:
  13. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

I mentioned the talk here about the origin of the name GandyDancer to my wife. According to her Gandy is a word that means work song. I dunno, but there might be something to it since the work was performed to the rhythm of music alot.

just thought I'd add it to the list. :confused:

t.
  14. billk

billk Active Member

But could Gandy mean work song because of Gandy Dancers? (I see a chicken or an egg in there somewhere.)
  15. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

OK, so I got an older 44 ton GE from e-bay. The wheelbase is too short, about the same as the gandy dancer. Both trucks are dead on this one anyway. Perhaps a bigger issue is the little bugger is so cute :rolleyes: how could I rip the trucks out of it!?!?!?! I just can't bear to sacrifice one dinky to save another! Anyways, do you know if the 70 jobby has the same trucks or are they a longer wheelbase? Or does anyone know of an F unit that has independant power truck(s)? An F7 truck is about right, and I gots no problem ripping the guts out of an F7 :mad:

On the bright side of the e-bay deal, I got two other switchers that run; an EMD unit which I will toss a pic up to try to find out who made it, and a weird dinky made in yugoslavia. The EMD runs very smoothly and just needs a little plastic repair, railings and two of the four side frames. The yugo runs too, but it's a cheapie.

jon