Power supply to low?

BNSFtheLeader

Aug 10, 2003
Boynton Beach (WPB Area)
Visit site
I was wondrering?

My power supply is to low to power my 12 engine combo set up I was wondering what I could to rectify this problem?

I have a Pirmary 120/240VAC Secondary 12/24VDC @ .60Hz single phase 1.0 Kva transformer and a moter speed control that I was going to use but i'm affraid if i do there may be to many amps runing through it and in an accoruance there where a short it would cause a pitting affect on my wheels.

Do you think this is possible?

also is there a over current protection device fast enough to prevent it?

Thanks any help would be greatly apprecieated.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
BNSFtheLeader said:
I have a Pirmary 120/240VAC Secondary 12/24VDC @ .60Hz single phase 1.0 Kva transformer
This is somewhat confusing specifications. To start with, a transformer uses AC in and AC out, not DC. It should also be 60 Hz, not .6. Thirdly, if it is 1.0 Kva, that is a big transformer, like 1000 watts of power. You need a big DC power supply to convert this AC to DC, and enough to run 12 locos.

Question is, do you really have a transformer, or do you have an AC to DC power pack?

The simplest current limiter is a fuse, both for the AC input or DC output.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Yes AC or DC matters. AC will cause a DC motor to heat up and either demagnetise or burn out. It's like making the armature rattle back and forth 60 times a second. Unless you have O gauge toy trains or Maerklin HO, you need DC.
At one lecture I went to, they recommended limiting the current (For dcc, but it still applied) to 5 amps as you could weld derailed wheels to the rails.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Based on your starting post, I assume that the current is DC going to the track so trains will run. Just not 12 locos like you say. Any transformers I have also show amps like 2amps or 1 1/2 amps etc. You just may need a bigger transformer with enough amperage converted from AC to DC to run the 12 consist. Is there any indication of the amps on the transformer as well as the in out voltages?