power problems

V

velmo

I have a 4x8 oval with an interior track and it is with the bachman track snap together. I have one small transformer and it doesn't seem to power it. How much power do I need for this type of set up? Appreciate any help. Thanks

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Velmo

Do the trains run at all?

Is it a new Power Pack?

Did it come with your train in a set?

Does the train run fast some places and slow at other places?

Is the locomotive new?

Are the wheels clean?

Does the locomotive run "smoothly" but slowly or does it run slow and "jerky"?
:rolleyes:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
A few more questions to ask:

What is the rating on the power pack? (ie: 5 VA, 20 VA...)

Are you connecting the power pack to the track in one place or many places along the track?

Will the power pack run a train on a short piece of track, like 3 or 4 foot of straght track?

Do you have access to a voltmeter to make a few measurments along the track?

You could have a bad connection, a bad power pack or a loco that doesn't run well. Answering these and the other questions that were asked will help you to isolate the problems.

Don

V

velmo

no power

I am using a small one that came with the set. I don't have a volt meter. It was at least 20 amp. I am trying to connect another one at the other end of the oval. I get some power then it stops. About 4 to 5 feet in places.
Thanks for helping.

Velmo

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Velmo, Making another connection at the other end is not going to solve the problem at least not on a simple 4X8 oval.

It sounds like to me you have one or more of these problems:

1. Dirty Track
2. Dirty pick up wheels on your loco
3. Loose rail joiners
4. A loose connection in loco's wiring
5. A loose connection at the power pack
6. A loose connection at the rails (terminal track)
7. A bad connection on the AC line (wall plug) of the powerpack
8. A faulty power pack

Check these out in the order that they are listed and I think you may find the problem. Power packs that come with trainsets are not the best in the world but they are adequate to operate a simple oval of track.

Hope this helps
:)