Potted history and geography

Dave-the-Train

Oct 7, 2006
Staffordshire UK
I've been getting some great help over on the MRR forum in the form of potted history of the US plus bits of geography. (I'm over here now because the system has locked up on me again... hope this one doesn't).

Anyway...

I was thinking that setting up some regional potted history threads might be a useful way for those that have detailed knowledge to help out those of us who are in foriegn parts and/or people new to the hobby.

For example a North West region could guide us on what RR were before BN and which went into it, when. Similarly an NE guide would be a great help for who went into CSX, Conrail and (I think) NS.

I for one also could use some broad guidance on the rough geography of these areas and/or the territory of the different lines.

I realise that this is like asking for an encyclopedia in some respects but the sort of thing I'm looking for is like the question just asked in another thread about when roof walks started to be removed/not installed and when it became mandatory.

If anyone can suggest a format, regional division/pattern it would be a good start.

Maybe we can start posts with Q, I or D for question, information or Date... for a start.

This is just an idea... what do people think?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
This is a book that has exactly the information you're looking for: The Routledge Historical Atlas of the American Railroads by John F. Stover. It's a softcover book that has capsule histories of about two dozen railroads and maps for them at the middle of the twentieth century. Also included are short chapters on the creation of Amtrak, Conrail, and the Staggers Act of 1980 and *ta-da!* a chart showing railroad mergers up to about 2000. Shouldn't have a problem finding this, I picked mine up at Barnes & Noble shortly after it was published but I'd think you should still be able to find a copy online.