Potash Mine Revisited

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Thanks Val although I never thought of myself as a "master" you are being generous.
The loading dock is coming together. Some painting done.
The section in the front is recycled from my previous layout.

Attachments

• pm11.jpg
    pm11.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 234

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
This project gets more astounding each time you post a new picture. We are all greatful that you share you work this way.

Oh, nice boat on the mantle. I have one just like it on a shelf in my den. (No room on the mantle with all the pictures of the grandkids and part of my wife's giraffe collection.):rolleyes: :D

D8)N

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
What a footprint of that plant!

Robin, this time you're in for a HUGE structure! And it's turning out great, as the others before.

Already now it looks like you don't have room enough on this table for the whole plant. Now I wonder where the main shaft will be added. Do you have to exchange the table for a larger one? ;) :D

I also noted the ship model on the mantle. Is it a tea Clipper? Whatever it is, it looks beautiful! (I also did some ship modeling, but as Don already stated, it's hard to find space enough to display these models properly.)

I'm eagerly waiting for the next potash installment!

Ron

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks Don and Ron. The old sailing ship on the mantle is a very poor model of the "Cutty Sark" Not to scale and lacks detail. It was given to me by a friend so put it on the mantle where it looks not too bad.
Back to the potash mine, much of it will be re-cycled from my old layout. Here is one of three domed warehouses to store the potash. They too are made out of corrugated cardboard and cerealboard. Conveyers will connect them together.

Attachments

• pm14.jpg
    pm14.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 179

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Robin, Lookin' gooood!!!! Say, I like that shed with the foil roof! Heck, I like it ALL! I'm sure others might ask this: How did you build the domed warehouse? I'm assuming you cut several parts and fitted them together, but what geometry/etc did you use to figure out the angles and dimensions? My math teacher always said that stuff would come in handy some day! :)

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Ralph, these potash mines are quite remote and I could never get close enough to get some idea of dimensions of the domes so decided that I would make mine to fit in the space I had available. I started with an 8inch diameter circle on a piece of corrugated cardboard. I then marked the circumference into 45degree sections. I cut 8 sections of corrugated cardboard with a 90degree angle 4 inch base to go from the centre of the circle to the edge. The upright side is 4 1/2 inch high. I then cut a curve along the hypotenuse. Next I cut a piece of cerealboard wide enough to fit around the circumference between two sections. I lay it over the curved sections and used a pencil to draw the edges. No calculations here, just cut and fit. Once I had one piece cut that fit properly, I made 24 of them to go on the 3 domes.
Each dome is a scale 105 feet in diameter and 60 feet high.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
In case anyone is wondering about whats happening, the earthmovers and bulldozers are busy preparing the site. Much has to be done levelling and draining water and so on.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hey Robin,

we only hope that no bad weather is coming in, so that the preparing of the site will be terminated in time. :D

You keep us informed, willya, Robin, huh?

Ron

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
The LPBs have been hard at work getting the site for the mine levelled. Now the work is done, the equipment cleaned up and ready to go to the next project and the LPB crew have gone to the town of Harris to down a few well "urned " maybe if the alcohol did them in" should have said earned brews.
Looking South East

Attachments

• pm15.jpg
    pm15.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 163

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
The bored photographer wandered around a bit hoping some of the crew came back but to no avail so took thei photo looking south west

Attachments

• pm16.jpg
    pm16.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 161