Post Your STEAMERS!!!

skipgear

May 15, 2005
I'm attempting to model Loveland, OH, circa 47-50; the years that the Cincinnatian ran through here. The PRR tracks are now the Loveland bike trail. They ran to Milford from Loveland and on to Cincy. On my layout, I'm going to use a little creative license and use the PRR line as C&O instead. Not to hijack the thread but this is the latest variation of the ever changing track plan.

Loveland_N_v11.JPG

Also found a naked shot of the Big Six assembled before paint.

S-1SmokeBoxReady4Paint.jpg

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Skipgear, sounds pretty good! I actually have a research project that has me east of Milford from time to time, so I have a feel for the area. I approve of swapping out the Pensy for the C&O! Afterall, the C&O's direct competitor, N&W, wasn't too far south of there...and you can pick up Bachmann 2-6-6-2s, 4-8-2s, Proto Kanawahs, etc...! I think I recognise the bridge in your track plan ;-)
Beautiful work on the 2-10-2. I look forward to seeing your streamlined pacific once it's done!

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
I finally finished my IHC 2-10-2. (President's Choice, Loblaws, Superstore, etc)

IMG_8637small.jpg

I don’t really have an inventory of parts, but I will describe what I used.

More of my 2-10-2 photos can be seen here at my Photobucket album. http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/Trains/2-10-2/

The Precision Scale (Kemtron) all-weather cab won't work for this loco as it has a sloped front wall. I had planned to use the Miniatures by Eric "Early CN Steam" cab. It is probably more correct for this loco.
http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00043.htm
cat1667.jpg

I got impatient waiting for it to arrive, so I ended up using a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 cab with a Precision Scale all-weather cab grafted on the back and lower end.

The stock headlight isn’t too bad and is probably pretty close in size to the CNR 4100. I had a Cal Scale headlight sitting in the parts box. It is a little large, but I liked the way it looked so I used it.

The bell is the stock bell re-located to the side of the boiler. I used a very small screw to attach the original IHC bell in the new location:

IMG_8722small.jpg

The rear sand dome unscrews from inside the boiler and was moved farther back.

I substituted a Bachmann trailing truck. It should also have a booster on it but I haven’t found one yet.
It should look something like this.

18918282308932.gif

The tender is a Bachmann “Hicken” tender. Item No: 89911

89911.jpg

IMG_8624small.jpg

This tender now has a DCC ready plug and has electrical pickup on 4 of the 6 axles. The plugs are designed to be used with Bachmann locos. It of course doesn’t connect with the wiring of the IHC loco, but it is easy to rig something up to add the tender pickup. Older versions of this tender are pretty much the same, but use plastic wheels without any pick-ups.

This tender is not exactly right for this loco, but it is a huge improvement over the IHC tender. I cut off the very front, including the steps, so that it would close couple with the all-weather cab. I used .020“ sheet styrene to build up a coal bunker on top of the existing oil bunker. The rear light was removed and another Cal Scale light was used at the rear. I don’t know the part number as it was also just sitting in my parts box.

One other “mod” I did was too invert the triangular number board at the front. IHC has mistakenly printed the number “4100” upside down and then installed them upside down so the number is correct. I added new numbers and installed it right side up.

Mike Sowsun

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Very nice job on your 4100, Mike,:thumb: :thumb: and also an excellent choice for the tender. I don't think her own mother would recognize that baby!:D This is also a good "kick in the pants" for me to get back to work on cn nutbar's T-3-a, too, as I haven't had the time to work on it since last spring.:rolleyes:

Wayne

skipgear

May 15, 2005
We can't let the steam fall too far down the list so here's something to keep it going:

Key_Imports_2-6-6-6_H-8_C_O_1659.jpg

N scale C&O H-8 2-6-6-6
Key Imports

This is the only brass loco that I have purchased and unless some unique B&O / C&O shows up in the future, it will probably be the only brass on the roster. I was going to build one of these using parts from the Rivarossi Challengers but with the deal I got on this, it was cheaper than buying two Challengers and the value of the time involved in building.

I do have a pair of BigBoy's that are slowly working themsleves into a B&O EM-1 (2-8-8-4).

Tony

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
skipgear, you're one heck of a modeller...as are msowsun and many of the people on here. I'm looking forward to seeing those EM-1s...I have to take a trip down to Cinergy this week or so..

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I've been meaning to take new photos of my steam roster to post here but the way things are going it won't happen for awhile. First I was just in a bit of a funk and couldn't rouse myself to do anything on the railroad. Now I've got what started as simple household projects which have turned into nightmares. So for now, two old pics that weren't posted, well one was, but when the Gauge had a problem a couple years ago, a few posts disappeared, this ws one of them. My Lifelike 0-8-0, and double headed Erie berks. Hope you like them.

Attachments

• P1010466jpg.jpg
    P1010466jpg.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010354ajpg.jpg
    P1010354ajpg.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 72