Possible short in loco?

Kevinkrey

My Bachmann 2-10-2 quit working today. I cant get lights on or anything. And then I realized there was about a 5 minute short on my layout today, and that was the only loco I forgot on the track. Could there be a short or what? What might I do to fix it?

Kevinkrey

I went and looked at it, the rear light would turn on, and after some "positive reinforcing" (or pushing) it went forwards and I could controll the speed and it worked fine, until it hit a bad switch and derailed. It then ent full speed in reverse (I dont know why) and I pushed the stop button on my controller and I have no controll what so ever again, except for the reversre light, any ideas as to what is going on?​

woodone

Are we working with at DC system or DCC?

What decoder if working with DCC- I would think you are using DCC as this is posted in the DCC section

woodone

Can you read the CV's with this system?
If so I would reset the decoder to the factory defaults.
Check the decoder information- it should tell you how to reset the decoder.
The short might have changed the programing and now will not respond to any information the DCC system is sending to it.

woodone

Do you have a friend that has a system that can read CV's?
If so, have him reset the decoder.
Like I said before, the short could have caused the decoder to loose its program information. There for it will have to be reprogramed.
Not sure this helps, but it might give you some insight as to where to go from here.
Hope you can get it resolved and the locomotive running again soon.
BTW do you know who's decoder is in the locomotive?

Kevinkrey

It is a Bachmann Spectrum, so Im guessing a Bachmann decoder. Could that still be the problem even if it did run a little as I mentioned?​

woodone

It is a Bachmann Spectrum, so Im guessing a Bachmann decoder. Could that still be the problem even if it did run a little as I mentioned?​
Well you did say that the locomotive derailed on a switch, after you did have it running. That could have caused the program problem at that time.
Just guessing- but resetting would clear up any problems, if it is a program issue.