Possible new source for engines?

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
How many of you get a small catalog from Micro- Mark, small tools? I had seen it before, but I don't remember them having so much, if any, train related stuff before. Their 800 number is 800-225-1066. Page 94 to 109 is all train related and the prices on HO engines is the best Iv'e seen for Bachmann Spectrum. $67.50 for a Decopod, $77.50 for a Heavy Mountain, SD45 for $39.95. Not a lot of choices, and a lot of it 0n30, but many other items listed including weathering suggestions, trucks for HO cars, track care supplies and many other goodies for the model railroader. www.micromark.com

itdincor

Dec 30, 2006
Never heard of these folks, but wish I had. Could have saved a fair bit of money. The web site is somewhat irritating, as no information is given, not even the gauge, on the items I checked at least, until one adds an item to the shopping cart. Certainly however, this is a site to book mark, as it seems to have some very nice prices.

But for locomotives at least you must know beforehand what you're buying, as they just don't tell you much.

Thanks.

itdincor

Dec 30, 2006
Well, I was going to buy a crane car and support/equipment car, but they just don't tell you anything, not even a brand name. Only what scale it is, and that's all. I cannot just throw $37 at someone and hope it's quality. If they would provide some information, I'd think it quite possible this is a good source. But, I'm flying in the dark too much as is, so do feel obliged to buy from sources which tell one what one is actually buying.

Indeed, so far as I could tell, they don't tell one anything about anything. Just show an inadequate picture. Not even a model number for the Bachmann locos, which are VERY nicely priced indeed, BTW. But, not enough info for me to part with my money. I need to know what the heck it is that I'm buying.

However, the prices I saw look real good.

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
I have not gotten anything from Micro-mark, but my brother has bought from them for years with out any problem. The engines I was referring to are clearly Bachmann Spectrum with the Spectrum logo on the page. You might call and ask them to shoot you a catalog. Pages 106 and 107 are a gold mine and it's all Spectrum. The crane kit is listed as a vast supply of very detailed, precisely fitted injection moulded parts with trucks. Couplers sold separately. made in USA by the Tichy Train Group. Sorry the web sight wasn't set up better, I haven't even seen it.
I'm going to order the Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 within a day or two and I'll do a report on it. If it's as good as my other three Spectrum engines, I'll be more than satisfied.---John R

itdincor

Dec 30, 2006
OK: I'll buy the crane and car so soon as I log off here. The picture looked good, I just needed some sort of clue of what I was buying. Now you've given me that clue, and it's good enough. And I'll ask for a catalog. I need a couple linear feet of various catalogs.

Man, this forum is a gold mine! The deeper you go, the more there is!