Possible GP50 project

Packers#1

Ultimate Packers Fan
Jun 23, 2008
Aiken, SC
here's a project i'm kicking around: Taking a bachmann GP50 model and an atlas gP40-2 and making a good GP50 out of it. the GP50 was built on the smae frame as a gp40-2, so that might work. I'd start this by first getting B-mann's GP50 model (only $36), then getting an atlas GP40-2. Maybe the b-mann truck sideframes could be recycled, I don't know. If that doesn't work, I could say it was built on traded-in trucks. looking at a GP40-2, the handrails match perfectly, but I'm not sure about the steps. I think the hardest part of this project would be making the bachmann shell mate w/ the Atlas Handrails and frame. Of course, there's some extra tubing on the GP50 fuel tank, but I think some brass wire might take care of that.
prototype (not my photo)
ns7003.jpg

picture of bachmann's n scale model (not my photo)
612911.jpg

Here's a pic of the GP40-2 I was looking at (not my photo)
4447cs-b&o.jpg

So guys, you think this is doable?

C

Catt

I would say yes go for it.You can use either the GP40 or the 40-2 for this project.

I would suggest that you take the GP 40/-2 apart so you can see what you need to do to the Bachmann shell to make it work.

If that strikes you as abit overwhelming you could just transplant the Bachmann shell to the ATLAS mechinism and body mount a pair of MT 1015/16 couplers then fill in around them with bits of styrene.

If you do this project be sure to post pics which ever way you do it along with any tips YOU come up with for the swap.

Packers#1

Ultimate Packers Fan
Jun 23, 2008
Aiken, SC
Catt, I'd actually use a high hood GP38-2 and the handrails, and transplant the b-mann shell w/o its handrails to the Atlas mechanism and handrails.I won't try this project for a while yet.