Possible Dumb Question - Railcar Length

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Look closely at the reporting marks on any given prototype car. Some where in all of that stenciled on lettering it will give the inside and outside dimensions. This may not be true on a model as the mfgs. often use the same data stamp for different cars and hope that no one will notice....sneaky ain't they? :D

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
To take this one step further, it would seem to me that the important measurement would be the exterior one as the trainmaster has to know the overall lenght of the train so they can account for siding length issues.

If the interior dimension of a boxcar is that important to a shipper in that "inches" will make a difference, I would like to know who is shipping what that it is that critical?

Now that I think about this, Mike you did raise a good question that has me thinking about the car types I have and whether or not they are truly prototypical for the industries I have.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
There will be two critical dimensions: inside length and length over pulling faces. IL shows up on the side of the car (unless it's a bulk car); not sure about the other.
"Length over pulling faces" is the dimension between the insides of the coupler knuckles, the amount that adds up to the length of the train. This is significant in ore cars -- they stayed the same size because of the spacing of the unloading chutes in the ore docks -- and new ore docks were built to match the cars.
I think there were similar considerations with warehouse doors.

My 1953 ORER (Official Railway Equipment Register) lists Inside Length and Outside Length. This is the book that an would be used to select a car for the load. The Outside Length is over strikers and not over pulling faces. As an example, a CIL (Monon) 40 foot steel box (XM) has an Inside Length of 40' 6" and an Outside Length of 41' 10" with a door opening of 6'.

Now, as is listed in the appendix pages, if you want 'Coupled Length' you add coupler head and coupler horn clearance of approximately 15 inches at each end of car. A newer ORER would probably have another dimension for this as well with the extended couplers.

Bottom line? We are modelers. A 40' box is about 40' feet long. 41 feet is still about 40 feet long. To be specific tho, it is Inside Length as that is where the cargo is carried.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
FYI Roger, my October 1981 OER has the same two dimensions: inside length; outside length.

The reason I started wondering is that I've ended up compiling some stats for some of my railroads, and was curious whether, when a boxcar (etc.) of a specific length is indicated, whether I should be looking at the inside/outside length to compare to, say, Walthers Catalogue.

Originally posted by rockislandmike
The reason I started wondering is that I've ended up compiling some stats for some of my railroads, and was curious whether, when a boxcar (etc.) of a specific length is indicated, whether I should be looking at the inside/outside length to compare to, say, Walthers Catalogue.

Never thought about it. You would just have to measure a 'known' scale car to verify what they are using. I can say that some of the old craftsman kits meant 40' over strikers when they said 40'. But that was then and with people looking for true scale models. that would be different today.

What was it that they used to say? "Measure once and cut twice." Hmmm? Or maybe that should be "Measure twice and cut once."

Anyway, good luck in the quest. It will interesting to see what they do mean...